Need feeder for coop for 6-12 week old chicks

Susan-B

Songster
Mar 3, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
The feeders I was looking at getting say not to use until 12 weeks so what can I put out in the coop temporarily now? The feeders are used in the Brooder keep getting turned over and emptied out so I need some thing else thanks

Can you post pics of the feeders you are currently using please, that keep getting turned iver?
3C80F95F-0D6D-4CAE-B0BA-A5420915952C.jpeg
0F93047E-F71F-480D-98B9-DD096F4FCDC7.jpeg

Most adult feeders should be fine for that age range, as long as they don't require things like their necks to be a certain length to reach in (like PVC feeders with 90 degree elbows), or a certain weight (like treadle feeders).

As soon as mine are big enough to be around the adults (around 4 weeks), they no longer get a chick feeder.

Replace the plastic feeder bottle with a glass quart canning jar. The added weight should keep it from tipping. And go to your feed store and get a waterer base that takes a quart jar as well. We've always had very good luck with those. If your feeder base won't accept a quart jar, pick up one at the feed store that will. Both the feeder and waterer bases only cost a couple of dollars each and will last you through many flocks of chicks. Um, of course you'll also need a couple of standard quart jars, not wide-mouth. Good luck!

Replace the plastic feeder bottle with a glass quart canning jar. The added weight should keep it from tipping. And go to your feed store and get a waterer base that takes a quart jar as well. We've always had very good luck with those. If your feeder base won't accept a quart jar, pick up one at the feed store that will. Both the feeder and waterer bases only cost a couple of dollars each and will last you through many flocks of chicks. Um, of course you'll also need a couple of standard quart jars, not wide-mouth. Good luck!
Getting a nipple waterer too. Maybe I’ll try the mason jar with the small feeder for now. Thanks :)

They should be able to use any adult feeder, except maybe the treadle feeders.

By the time my new chicks are 3 - 4 weeks old, I start them on horizontal nipple waterers and no waste feeders. I use 2 inch 90 degree elbows for the chick no waste feeder, because they're shorter. By six weeks they're sticking there heads into the big no waste feeders with 3 inch elbows, as long as I have them low enough or a step in front of the elbow.

Attachments

• 2019 brooder1.jpg
    2019 brooder1.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom