Need good home for blind chicken in Ohio

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by OHChick, Nov 5, 2007.

1. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Hi guys. I have a very sweet, blind NH Red chicken. She was born in May. She has been fine with the rest of the flock but since they were all relocated to their hen house a few weeks ago, they pick on her terribly. She has had all of her tail feathers picked out by the other hens. I do not have the facility to keep her separated permanently. I have her separate for right now but once it turns colder, this solution will not work. We are halfway between Dayton and Columbus. I'm willing to give her away to someone who will keep her as a pet and take good care of her. She likes to be held and comes when called.
    I do not believe that she is completely blind, as she can find food and water but she runs into walls and if on a roost will walk right off the edge and not realize it.

At this time she is not laying, but I know of no health problems preventing this, she may lay in the future.

She is NOT available for adoption to someone who wants to eat her.

Please PM or email me if you have further questions.

2. Animal123Animal

Animal123Animal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Lake Mathews Calif.
    I wish I lived closer, I would love to have her. I have welsummer mix hen that has the same thing going. Her name is Misty and she is a few motnhs old and I first thought she was blind, But she can eat and drink on her own now. So I have been working with her and if you give her a treat she will see it but try and peck at it a few inch's away. She has learned were the roost is but will still walk right off the ramp if she is bump on the way up and has to try again. She was born with curled toes and I had to tape them the first few days so she could walk and was very slow growing at first until she found the food dish she could stand in and eat. She use's the other chickens to find her way they make a sound and she comes a running. If I'm out their she will just sit with me for hours as I do my weeding and I have learned to give her a treat and put one more out with it a few inch's away and as she goes for the one she will hit the other. I hope you find a good home for your little girl. Dennis

3. meloncholy88

meloncholy88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Hello,
    I am considering taking your bird. She sounds very nice. I think you should try and separate her, and get another bird with a disability for her. It will be awfully difficult for her to adjust to all new birds and an all new home. She may be getting picked on, but if you separate her maybe things will get better. At least she would still be around familiar sounds, and familiar birds. I have 9 Silkies and 2 Cochins, not sure if that would work.

Let me know your thoughts!
    Melonie

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think southern28chick should adopt her as a companion for blind tiny [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  5. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Quote:Melonie,

Blue used to live with the other chickens and was fine, but for some reason, the new house made them want to pick on her. We have her separated for now, but she is lonely. And where she is will only work for the short term, once it turns colder, she won't be warm enough. I want to keep her but we just can't keep her separated, so our only option is put her back in and hope that she's not too picked on, give her away, or euthanize her. My DH wants to put her down, but I don't want to do that. [​IMG] I was thinking maybe I would put her in the cat cage inside the hen house for a while to see if maybe they get used to her again and reintegrate her somewhat and hopefully they'll get used to her again before I turn her into the general population.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by