need guidance or reference on how to NPIP certify

chicken truck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 9, 2009
Columbiana, Alabama
Hey I was not sure which forum to post in I hope here is OK.
I need info on the procedure and how to get my Flock NPIP certified.
I have seen breeders with this and dont know if I even need to or not.
What are the pros or cons of this and average cost? If it is localy done I am in Alabama. dont know where to start please Help.

Thanks to All

Hope this helps you....

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/htba_part.shtml

It's the USDA website, my opinion is....it is very good to have because they test your birds every year to verify they are healthy and the cost to test is based on how many birds you have. Every state I believe has different rules and regulations, so this should help you with it.

Good luck.....

Last edited:
Once you get tested you can't bring in new non tested chickens in most States to your flock..they must be npip certified or it won't do you any good to get it done as you could possibly bring in disease. It also doesn't mean your flock is healthy it just means they test free of some diseases.If you plan to add more to your flock by private purchase not hatchery wait until your entire flock is in place and then have them tested if you want to.
That said we are NPIP certified because we sell eggs and chicks-about 200 chickens so we are a bit larger than most personal use flocks.
It is locally done by your State they send out your local rep to do it.Here in TN it's free but the paperwork is $25 if you want it good for a year or a 90 day paper is done free. Each State is different in the pricing.

Hi Pete!

I am NPIP, and chose to do so back in March, so it's fairly fresh on my mind.

It is especially useful if you Show birds, required in some States if you ship birds or sell eggs into their State.

The steps to becoming NPIP is simple. The link that mzfanci gave you is the way to get in touch with Dana Bennett. She will schedule Willie Hiburn for a visit. He is a dream to work with, I just enjoy his visits. Willie will draw blood from 30 adult breeders and test for Pullorum Typhoid and he can check for Avian Influenza via a swab to the throat. I did pay (I think it was) $8.00 for a hatchery licence.

Dana and Willie will be in Clanton FRIDAY testing for the bantam Show. (There is your reminder!) The show is Friday night (not as many there then) and Saturday. I know Willie told me yesterday he will not be there Saturday but Dana may be there then. They will answer even more questions you have!!!

There are many pros and cons.... and some people do not want government into their business. I have no problem with the program, and I do not do purchase from someone who is not a member.

Claudia

Last edited:
Thanks Claudia and all others. This helps my thoughts alot. Where is this show at ? Dont know if I can make it Fri. night due to the kids and homecoming. but can on Sat..

The Clanton Bantam show will be held at the Fairgrounds. Saturday the judging will begin at 9:00 a.m. and last year I think the awards were given around 1:00 or so.

Also.....just so you know, there will be a section of "for sale" birds in the back. And, Jimnjay will have some Silkies that you may be interested in at a great price for her quality.

Pm me if you would like more info.

Back
Top Bottom