1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help, 1588 humidity spike while chicks are hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stevin, Feb 4, 2011.

1. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    i have 19 pipped eggs and 1 hatched chick in my 1588 genesis. the humidity was at 64% till the 1st chick hatched and the the humidty jumped up to 70% should i remove the vent plug to allow the humidity to drop or just leave it in? will the chick dry off any quicker with the vent open?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    No leave it 70% is perfect if you drop it you will cause the other eggs to shrink wrap which will kill the chicks [​IMG]

3. kkaymci55

kkaymci55 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington
    When they start hatching a jump in humidity is normal and needed. I usually stick a couple soaked sponges in there to get humidity even higher. They need the high humidity to keep the lining in the shells from drying out and sticking to them

4. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    the moisture inside the egg makes the humidity raise up...

don't worry about it...

5. stevin

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    uhhhh...you're kiddin me. the humidity has dropped to 63%.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Stop looking at the hygrometer and just enjoy the hatch! You can't open the 'bator to change anything right now so relax and enjoy. It sounds like the humidity is perfect and everything is working just as it should [​IMG]

7. stevin

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    i woke up to 20 chicks!!!! but now the humidity is at 80%. is that still ok? at what point should i open the vent?
    there is still about another dozen pipped eggs in there....

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would leave it alone since the jump in humidity is due to the eggs hatching. If you let too much humidity out, when it drops it might go too low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by