need help 1yr hen lay tiny 6 gram egg after months of normal egg size?

SkyRoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Hello,
I am bit confused and worried. we have a Sultan hen (1 year old) who we recently adopted. (few months ago) at previous owner she was producing thumbnail size yolk-less eggs. after a month or so she sorted herself out and began to lay very nice 38-40 gram eggs 3-4 times a week.

her eggs are often a bit misshaped. *ridges and elongated* but all have been pretty consistent in size the last few months. (38-40 grams) then she not lay the last few days and then today produced this tiny 6 gram thumbnail size egg again? could there be something wrong with her health? Is there something in husbandry that might contribute to egg problems like this?

other hens are laying normal that are with her. *they all came from same gentleman*

past health:
we did have some problems with chronic sneezing and clear nasal discharge and diarrhea. that seems to be under control for awhile now with the other hens and rooster....except this hen still frequently throughout the day sneezing. (no diarrhea or nasal discharge at the moment) She seems active alert eating nothing out of the norm except odd egg production and sneezing that never went away.
I have not medicated them....only did apple cider vinegar in water...and gave them time.

I have read that infectious bronchitis will cause misshapen shells past health is similar symptoms but this would not explain the sudden drop to small egg size....?

small eggs (aflatoxicosis and salt deficiency)?

I am truly at loss...all eat same diet same housing ect.

thank you

I have had this happen to me a couple of times. I know that it was my Light Brahma that laid the tiny eggs and she is very large. I was told that it was because they were at the end of their strain of eggs. I didn't get an egg from her for a few days and then she started laying like normal again.

Dorothy

Back
Top Bottom