Need Help, 3 out of 5 chicks passed already!!!!

amynumchuck

Hatching
Mar 1, 2019
I got my baby silkie chicks this past sunday. They were all roughly 1 week old. Since then, 3 have died and it's weird because it seems to be going by order of size with the littlest dying first. I can't lose anymore! It seems that they are fine when I go to bed and when I wake up they're lethargic and limp, basically constantly asleep and by themselves. One of them kept flipping over on his back leading up to his passing. They do stir if I prod them a little but quickly fall back asleep. My remaining two seem healthy. They're eating and drinking and active. But that's how the others were before I woke up each morning and tried to help before they passed within 20 min. So here's the setup: They have no pasty butt, I've checked and I do not use a heat lamp, I use the Brinsea Ecoglow 20 so don't ask about temps, I know they're not too cold because I used a heat lamp the first few days before switching and two died before then. So they're definitely not chilling. They're on Manna Pro medicated chick starter crumbles (which is what the breeder used) and they have fresh water and water with probiotics and electrolytes. Please help, I love my silkie babies!!!!! I can't watch them die anymore. Is it a vitamin deficiency?

I'm going to move your post over to the ER forum...best of luck with the remaining chicks.

Did you get them from a hatchery or a private seller? It almost sound neurological
It was a private seller. I saw his whole flock and they all looked happy and healthy and all the chicks in his two brooder seemed to be healthy too

As an update, through some research I have taken them off the medicated food and replaced with non-medicated and am treating with corid to be on the safe side since the 3 that have died all have symptoms matching that. After I am done, can you guys recommend some ways to supplement all the vitamins that chicks need (going off the idea that this is the treatment they need to survive)? Is there a specific supplement to add to their water to ensure they get their vitamins? Thanks for everyone's help!

I just was about to say start Corid ASAP.
I'm happy to see you have.

If you want to give then vitamins, for a day or two after the Corid, Nutri-Drench is good and so is Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell.

If you feed them a complete poultry commercial feed it should have all the vitamins they need so don't give them additional vitamins daily long term. A free days here and there is ok but too much of a good thing is not always good.

Back
Top Bottom