Need Help Adding Hiding Places for Chicks

katiefloy

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
southern maryland
My Coop
My Coop
I currently have 6 hens and a rooster. Two of the hens have gone broody. The first has 6 one-week old babies and the second will hatch her clutch in 2 weeks (so the original babies will be 3 weeks old). So I have 2 weeks to figure out how to handle this. Currently, I have Josie and her 6 babies in the original little coop I bought before I realized how misleading those advertisements are and bought a larger coop.

The little coop is butted right next to the big coop which runs parallel so there is a see but no touch situation in place. I am considering moving them into the big coop, but Josie (the current mama) was lowest on the pecking order. Princess (the second broody) on the other hand is top of the pecking order, so I am wondering if I should just let her stay in the big coop with her babies.

Either way, I am not sure how to deal with food and water. The big coop has a treadle feeder and nipple waterer. I could add a feeder for the babies, but pretty sure the big girls would just eat it all or just spread it all over the ground. I did put a crate under the poop board inside the coop for the little family to sleep in. Any ideas on a small enclosure I could add to the run that would let the babies in but keep the big girls out, so they could eat and drink and get away if necessary? I am not handy, so can't build something.

If you have fruit tree clippings you can put a bunch all just piled up on top of each other and they'll love it as a hiding place; placed many of those around the property and it saved many of my chicks from aerial predators and bullying from older hens. They loved it so much that sometimes they would force the moms to stay there for long periods of time because they feel really safe.

Back
Top Bottom