Need Help. adoptee came with an unexpected issue.

I think this may not be an actual problem for you. It's possible that the duck wasn't able to keep herself clean, possibly due to insufficient clean water, and dirt and gunk built up around her eyes. This usually happens toward the front of the face. Because the dirt mixes with eye gunk (sorry for the technical language!), It gets very solid, and when the duck tries to clean it some feathers around her eye may tear out, and it looks like that has happened.

If you decide to let the duck handle things on her own, I recommend a low three-gallon tub, plastic or rubber, that they sell in most farm and feed stores. Fill with water, place it in her pen, and let her wash on her own. Change the water when it gets dirty and make sure she has straw, not mud, to stand on when she gets out of the tub. It may take a couple of days for her to get it all out.

For these ducks, it's summer, and they are in the open barnyard, not their pens, but this is the tub I am talking about:

Alternatively, this could probably be a good moment for bonding with your new duck. If you have a dishpan that fits inside your sink or bathtub (Walmart has them for $1.59, if you don't), fill it with clean warm water. Have a cup and a washcloth nearby. Your duck will want to flap wings in the water, but don't let it. Hold the wings close to the body and lower the duck into the water. Use the cup to pour a warm water over the duck's back.

Once the duck realizes that this is duck spa time, she will probably relax. Dip the washcloth into the water and wipe the back of her head first, then dip the washcloth into the water and showly drip it onto the bump near her eye. You can scratch at the dirt very gently with your fingernail, if she lets you. That will gradually help to loosen the dirt. I have done this for ducks who were going to shows, and it takes a long time to get the dirt out without removing feathers with it.

Full disclosure: dress to get wet.
i have a rectangle one in coop for my ducks over winter but it's a solid block of ice right now. and i usually have a kiddie pool. plus a stream and a pond near by. The waterer is one of those tubs only smaller. impossible to bath him right now...as i have no water. hot water heater went and i had to shut off water. but i'll find a way. the water bowl will be deep enough for them to dunk thier head. and i have back up gallons of water for just such an occasion. so they will have several fresh water fills during the day. TY

a little tough to do today as i had to shut water off my hot water heater died last night. LOL they had a shed that was shared with chickens. open space by woods. they had 2 once small pigs. and the 2 ducks and 1 chicken are all that was left. The area was open but wooded. i have similar space so no doubt that some of the other 11 chickens were gotten by preditors. they are not acting diseased. it's just that one. and it is an indentation with skin around. i still kinda think the pigs could have nipped him, or tried to eat him. but it could have gotten infected and causing other issues. wonder if i should get some antibiotic to put in the water? 25 yrs ago you could get terramicin (?) easily i think that's what it was called. any idea of what is used today and can i get at it locally instead of online?
You should still be able to get terramycin under its generic name, oxytetracycline, to add to water at some of the feed stores. The dosage is for large stock, so you would have to calculate down, dosage for weight, for poultry. Our local Missouri Farm Association stores have it, but not Orscheln or our local feed store.

But you probably only need the ointment, as Isaac O suggested, and that should be cheaper and easier to find. It's in most of our feed stores, here, but might be in the horse section (ours is).

Ducks and other waterfowl have inefficient tear duct glands so rely on head deep water daily to lavage out any debris, dirt, or bacteria that may accumulate in their eyes. When face deep water is not provided, debris begins to accumulate over the surface, which causes inflammation over the surface and eventually will lead to conjunctivitis.

In the picture, you can appreciate the erythema of her conjunctiva. My first step would be applying a warm damp cloth to the eye, and gently try to massage out any debris. Afterwards, give the eye a copious flush using some warm saline, or just plain tap water. Finally, apply an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin to the eye, at least twice a day.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz
To prevent this from reoccurring, head deep water should be provided at all times.
TY

Back
Top Bottom