NEED HELP! Advised to put down sick BR!!!

I have a duck that went thru that. I read up on it and with ducks at least, a small cut in the skin of the foot can let in bacteria. In some instances the bacteria takes up residency in the joints of the leg - causing inflammation and pain. Talk to a vet. She sounds like she is in an acute phase. With my duck, he got over the infection but had residual damage. He's still with me and when it gets cold, he limps. Other than that he's fine. The rapid onset of symptoms tells me infection - not arthritis. I may be wrong, but I'd get her some more help if you can swing it.

http://www.poultryscience.uark.edu/pdfs/avian_advice_5.3.pdf
Avian
Reovirus Infections
Reoviruses were first isolated from chickens in 1954. Reoviruses are widespread in nature and have been isolated from a variety of animals. These viruses have also been isolated from humans and in fact the name reovirus is a mnemonic for respiratory (r) enteric (e) orphan (o) since the virus was isolated from the human respiratory and enteric tract, but was not associated with disease. In some species of mammals (primarily mice) these viruses have caused liver, pancreatic, lung, and heart disease and central nervous system symptoms.Avian reoviruses, in the past, have been associated with viral arthritis/tenosynovitis,malabsorption syndrome, stunting/runting syndromes, enteric disease, immunosuppression, and respiratory disease. Recently, there have been reports from the field and isolations of reoviruses
from chickens exhibiting neurological signs.
AVIAN REOVIRUS DISEASES
Viral Arthritis- Reoviruses were first isolated from chickens in 1954. This isolate (Fahey-Crawley) produces viral arthritis/tenosynovitis when inoculated into chickens. In field situation viral arthritis is seen primarily in meat type strains of chickens, but has been reported in egg type chickens and in turkeys. While birds are usually affected with the disease at 4-8 weeks of age, older
birds can also be affected naturally and younger birds experimentally. As would be expected, birds with the disease, varying degrees of lameness is a typical sign of the disease. Some birds may also be stunted in size. The lesions observed are swelling and inflammation of the hock joint and tendon
sheath with a yellow colored fluid present in the hock. The fluid may be tinged with blood or occasionally it contains purulent (pus) exudate. As the inflammation progresses over time; scar
tissue forms and may fuse tendons and sheaths together. Bones of the joint may also become eroded or pitted And rupture of the gastrocnemius tendon may be present.Mal-Absorption / Pale Bird Syndrome- Reoviruses have also been isolated from birds withmal-absorption/mal-digestion/pale bird syndrome. Affected birds are stunted, unthrifty, have poor feed conversions and generally look sick. Orange tinged diarrhea may be present as can be variousdegrees of diarrhea and mal-digestion. Some birds may lose color in the legs and beak while others may have various feather problems. Mortality is usually low although numerous birds can be affected. This condition is usually seen between 3-6 weeks of age and is usually observed in meat type chickens.Neurological Signs- The newest reported problem inchickens associated with a reovirus is neurological signs, which may include: incoordination, tremors, twisted necks, or twitches.
The affected flocks have also had signs of arthritis/tenosynovitis
and malabsorption. The condition has been reported in broiler
breeder replacement pullets in the United States. In Europe a new
reovirus was isolated which caused neurological signs when
injected into Specific Pathogen Free Leghorn chickens.
DIAGNOSIS AND PREVENTION
Viral arthritis can be diagnosed presumptively by signs andlesions. Microscopic examination of the tendons and tendon sheaths, serological testing, or virus isolation can also be used.
Mal-absorption is usually diagnosed based on clinical signs or
virus isolation. These diseases can be prevented by vaccination.
Since the virus can be carried mechanically it is important to utilize good biosecurity and cleaning/disinfection protocols to assist in prevention exposure of flocks. Fortunately, vaccination programs in breeder birds have helped to reduce the incidence of this disease in progeny. As new isolates are found, research efforts to provide better more efficacious vaccines are continuing.
SUMMARY
Avian reoviruses are widespread in nature and are known to cause viral arthritis and mal-absortion / pale bird syndrome. However, recent field reports have associated the virus with
neurological signs. Vaccination of breeder birds as well as strict biosecurity procedures can effectively reduce the effects of reoviruses on commercial poultry flocks

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205200.htm

Diagnostic testing:
http://www.idexx.com/production/poultry/poultry4.jsp

Quote:
If the chicken has degenerative arthritis, and not something more insidious like a tumor , viral infection, fracture ect, yes they can take certain anti-inflammatories- which can work very well. Talk to your vet about diagnosing with x-rays, and even if you can't do the x-rays, birds can take the NSAID (anti-inflammatory) meloxicam, which they can provide as well as the dose which is different from dogs or cats.

Hot joints....typically mean infection. Infection in the joins is ULTRA-difficult to treat because there is little to no blood flow there----and that's how the antibiotics are delivered. Here chances are very low.

You might find a vet that is willing to try with a strong antibiotic, but if she's quit eating and drinking....it means she's begun to shut down--and chickens don't last long without food and water.

From the little I knowfrom reading this thread, she sounds criticial---I truly am sorry-

Best wishes and comforting hugs
Sandra

Thanks EVERYONE for the informative and sympathetic responses. I put her on a heating pad this morning and gave her vitamin and electrolyte solution when I got home a half hour ago.

I checked her abdomen for eggbinding. I've never had to check that sort of thing before, but I didn't feel any big, egg-like masses.

I talked to an avian vet here in Chicago. He said he has successfully used Baytril on arthritic birds. I'm now leaving to take her to a vet not too far from my house. I hope I can still get to my daughter's school on time, but I'm really hoping this will help!

Everyone please send all your thoughts of health and healing to my Tep-Tep!

Thanks again!

fl.gif
I'm really hoping all is well. any updates???
fl.gif
:aww
Good luck! Tep-Tep is a VERY pretty girl!
love.gif

Don't give up now! there's still lots of hope for her!
hugs.gif

You might want to look into trying colloidal silver if it's an infection. Colloidal silver (sometimes aka "ionic silver") was commonly used before antibiotics, as it's well known that silver kills germs.

I've never tried it for chickens since I am new to raising chickens & mine have been healthy so far, but I did find a website that sells & recommends colloidal silver for chickens.

It is also available at most healthfood stores and is very easy to make! I would definitely try this for any chicken or other creature that is sick with anything microbial, esp something resistant. I take it myself not as a last resort, but a first resort for just about everything (common cold, upset tummy, whatever). Mix with sugar / salt / electrolytes to speed it into the system faster.

Good luck, and PM me if you want info on making it yourself.

Here is some more info on colloidal
A Natural Antibiotic with Beneficial Side Effects

Colloidal Silver is one of the oldest remedies in the World and can be traced as far back as the ancient Greek and Roman Empires. It is non-toxic, non-addictive and free of side effects; Colloidal Silver is thought to kill an average of 650 different organisms - compared to the 6 of a standard antibiotic! It is safe for adults, children, animals and pregnant and nursing women. It can be applied topically and internally and has no reaction with other medications.

In the early part of this century, Colloidal Silver was used as a mainstream therapy until modern antibiotics came along; Silver was the primary antibiotic used by the wealthy before the advent of penicillin. With many organisms now resistant to antibiotic therapy and antibiotics causing numerous side effects; more and more people are turning to Colloidal Silver to treat a range of infections in a natural, balanced way.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom