Need Help and Opinions for a New Rollaway Nest Box

Thank you for the update! I take it you no longer use the shavings. Was that just to get them enticed to the boxes initially?

Thinking I may need to add something to my turf mats to get them started.

I put a golf ball in one to be a fake egg. (The golf ball is precariously staying put but has rolled back a couple times.) I'm assuming that if I put some hay or straw down, it will prevent the eggs from rolling back. But I guess that doesn't matter if it is only going to be temporary... until they get used to the nest boxes.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thank you @Rammer1961 for the link. The thread link is a long one that I'll be going through shortly.
Well, initially I hung the nest about a foot off the floor. The next day they were laying under the nest box so I blocked off the area around the bottom of the nest with some boards. I put some wood shavings on the laying mat for about a week then removed them once I knew they had established the nest for laying their eggs.
The HenGear rollaway nest box comes with a trainer egg and I ordered a 2nd one too. The eggs have a short chain with a clasp. Just attach it to the upper edge of the laying mat and that is it. Works great!!

Trying to see what I have on hand to use temporarily on top of the artificial grass -- to entice them to use the nestbox. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Attachments

• 20220901_135611.jpg
    20220901_135611.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom