Need Help ASAP Cross Beak Chick

Last Spring I bought several chicks of different breeds including an Ameraucana who developed a cross beak. I didn't notice it for several months. The veterinarian said that had we caught it when the chick was very young (and yours might be young enough) it might have been correctable with rubber banding (like braces) but at several months, all we could do was have it trimmed every few weeks. The chick was famished and ate viraciously, probably not getting enough to eat because half of it fell out of her beak but she grew and looked healthy enough. By nine months when all the other chickens were laying, she was not and in addition, she was unable to properly preen her feathers so they became soiled and unkept looking. Finally when she was ten months old, we had her euthanized. i was convinced her cross beak which was very extreme causing the upper beak to grow hooked like an eagle, was causing her distress. Wish I could give you more encouraging words but perhaps your chick is young enough to have it corrected. see your veterinarian.
JBD (see my chickens at www.pedigreebook.com and when you click on chickens, go to the "more chicken photos" page. I think you may enjoy it.)

any ideas on how to deter a goanna in my yard?its been sneaking in and eating my eggs
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom