Need Help Asap, Dieing Quail

Shazerthor

Hatching
Feb 22, 2016
So from my other post i mentioned that my quail were acting a bit crazy. They were all running around and jumping smashing their heads on the pen. I currently have one bleeding from its head. I have brought it inside and it keeps going to fall asleep. Should i keep it awake as i am. Its head is really bloody and looks like its been pecked :( What should i do. Is there any way to seal the wound. A few others have missing feathers on the tops of their heads too. I need help asap

Try to clean the blood and let it dry. If she needs to sleep let her sleep. Check your quail for mites, keap her away from the other quail in a different cage or box until her wound is healed enough that the other won't pick on it. Damp her head down in warm water and try to stop the bleeding. I hope she makes it.

Raven

Last edited:
I read somewhere that you can use flour to clot the blood. It is a head wound. And im not sure if im seeing a piece of brain or just a really bloody feather stump. So idk how i would do that. Just powder it on and damp it down? I have seperated her. She is in our bathtub atm

She is doing a bit better now (i ended up putting flour on the wound to stop the bleeding) She has started eating and drinking a bit but still seems to be dozing off.
After the wound has dried out completely how should i clean it? Just wash off the flour and let the wound dry again? I don't know how it would go reintroducing her to the flock after a few days. They grew up together (Bought them all from the same supplier) they seemed completely fine with each other to begin with. Any suggestions to keep down stress in the pen? Giving them a bigger areas isn't really an option at the moment.

Most likely she and the ones with bald heads hurt themselves boinking. You can lower the top of the cage (I think 12 inches is recommended, though they can still hurt themselves a little like that) or pad it with something to prevent this. If you have spruce trees, cutting a few large branches and either suspending them below the top of the cage so they hit the branches before hitting the wire, or placing them so the quail can hide under them, might be an option.
I wouldn't worry too much about the wound as long as she behaves normally. I don't think it looks too bad. I wouldn't mess with it for the first 3-4 days, just allow it to heal. After that, you can either try to wipe the dried blod off with water or just wait for it to fall off on its own. I wouldn't place her back with the others as long as there is anything red on her head, but if she seems well after a few days, I'd give her a cage of her own just beside the cage the others are in.

She was attacked by another repeatedly pecked in the same area. Mine used to do that all the time. I would slather on some neosporine and stick em in the hospital cage a few days. They're always fine afterwards. I came home a few times and the whole scalp would be gone just a beak and eyes. Few days alone it all grew back they're pretty tough critters.

So from my other post i mentioned that my quail were acting a bit crazy. They were all running around and jumping smashing their heads on the pen. I currently have one bleeding from its head. I have brought it inside and it keeps going to fall asleep. Should i keep it awake as i am. Its head is really bloody and looks like its been pecked :( What should i do. Is there any way to seal the wound. A few others have missing feathers on the tops of their heads too. I need help asap
Sorry this happened to your birds. So you saw them boink their heads on the top of their heads? This rules out aggression as the cause, but once bloody they tend to pick so you were right to separate the injured. Did you figure out what caused them to panic? Were they new to this pen? Sometimes when put into a new place they can panic until they know they are safe. It can help to have hiding places, as well as padding the ceiling to keep them from getting injured again.

Sometimes they can get brain damage from a hard boink on the head, usually you can see this as walking backwards, being unable to walk upright, holding the head sideways or upside down, being unable to eat due to vision troubles, etc. I will keep a bird for a couple of weeks to see if it improves and if not I humanely cull the bird so it doesn't suffer more. I hope yours is OK.

Is there a cock in there with them? The cocks chase the hens around incessantly and often pull feathers off their heads which could be the cause of the problem. Look for the one bird without missing head feathers and check his chest for the absence of spots. I don't keep cocks in with my egg-layers anymore and they seem happier and lay better.

Back
Top Bottom