Need help ASAP for backyard chicks

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. We have a small house, with no garage or shed or any secure place other than inside the house. Trying to convince hubby to let them in :( while trying to see if I can't find someone else who keeps chickens to take them.

What's the suger:water ratio?

I don't know about sugar ratio, hopefully someone will answer. You could crumble some hard boiled egg yolk for them...amyone want to chime in on either option?. Were you actually able to catch them?

I don't know about sugar ratio, hopefully someone will answer. You could crumble some hard boiled egg yolk for them...amyone want to chime in on either option?. Were you actually able to catch them?

If the chicks seem to have energy you can do plain water and finely chopped hard boiled egg. If they have been extremely stressed and not active use sugar in water at 1/2 cup per gallon..Only use sugar water if needed for a day as it can have laxitive affect. I'm not sure what you may have on hand, which is why I suggested sugar water. It is however, a last resort if nothing else is available. Sugar water has to be thrown out every day as it can grow bacteria.

Last edited:
Hmmm............well if they are a couple of days old, they need to be inside, or basically somewhere safe and secure. Without a mama hen around, anything, anything can happen to 4 little vulnerable days old chicks. Do you know what killed the mama? It could kill the chicks too.

Do you have a box? If there is only 4, you wont need a huge box for now. IF you dont have a desk lamp or anything like that, i would advise putting rice into a sock or a tied up T-Shirt, heat it up in the microwave (make sure its not too hot to the touch) then put a little cloth over that, they can snuggle up in between the warm sock/ T-Shirt and the cloth.

Chicks are hard to catch.................are they tame? Your going to have to be very sneaky to catch those little chickies.......

Sugar:water ratio? Well, it would help if you can show us what water container your using..........your wanting to know the ratio for sugar water, right? I would suggest probably a teaspoon of sugar, but if the container is small, that might be a tad too much...............

In regards to food, as someone else already suggested, hard boiled scrambled egg yolk can be used, however i find that chicks who are raised by a broody can have a hard time eating it for whatever reason.........you can also try Yogurt, If you have just plain Cous Cous in your cupboard, i would highly suggest feeding them that, its got small pieces and most of my chicks love it.........mine loves peas and corn as well.................just be careful, dont overdose on treats just yet........

I would highly suggest putting a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. It strengthens their immune system and such...........sugar water is just used for chicks that need, well.............more energy etc.

Im not exactly sure if i have covered everything that needs to be covered, but i hope i have helped a little
smile.png

-Mustang

G’Day from down under NewbieChickenMa
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just say kudos to you for taking care of them and wish you all the best.

Please keep us updated and if you can, share some pictures. Oh, and give your neighbour a
smack.gif
from me!
wink.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your efforts to save the chicks. Hope all the conflicting advice doesn't make your head spin. You can also check out the "raising chicks" part of the forums.

Thanks everyone for your advice <3 We were able to get them into a box. I heard them chirping all day long yesterday and didn't see them :( They were under dead mama's wing in what I guess was their nest on the other side of the fence.
Once my neighbor (not the slap deserving one lol) was home she let my husband go over and push the little chicks under the fence to our side, and my boys picked them right up and put them into the box.
Neighbor and hubby said they saw a cat around, so the car probably got it :( She sure protected those chicks keeping them under her wing.

My friend said he'd take them so I was on my way to take them to him, but then his sister said they would've take them because they have dogs, so I met up with them to hang out while I checked my phone and tried to find a new home for them. I was prepared to bring them back home and keep them for the night since it was late anyway and I did have some prospects, but no one to take them that night. I took the chicks (in the box) out for a sec so my friends could see them, and then as I was going to take them back, the friend who had originally said he'd keep them offered to take them back to my car (which I was driving around in 90 degrees to keep them warm! **** that's hot). When he came back he said he gave them away :mad: I thought he was joking at first. He gave them to somebody who approached him. He says the person says they have birds and would care for them, but I'm kinda ****** he didn't ask me or get more information from these people, or at least inform them on how to care for them if they didn't know (I'm still baffled as to why he felt he had any authority to give away something that wasn't his). I would've at the very least liked to get their info to check up on them (my kids would've wanted to visit. They cried this morning because they thought they'd be at my friend's house and they could visit and watch them grow). Whatever, I guess there's nothing I can do about it now. I hope they're okay.

Back
Top Bottom