Need help ASAP with aggressive chicks

LaurasLorps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Arkansas
I have 4 six-week old BAs. they've been chest bumping and flying at each other for a few weeks now, but normally they calm down after a few seconds. today one of them has gotten crazy aggressive, pinning other chicks to the ground and fighting like crazy to the point that there is some blood around combs and wattles. they are out free ranging now, so I am able to watch and separate them, but when I put them back in their brooder tonight (and leave them there while I am at work) I have no way to separate the aggressive chick and am worried he will tear the others to shreds. what should I do?

I suppose you should remove the aggressive one from the others. If you had some kind of screen you could secure in between the two sides of the brooder to keep them separate that might be ideal, but that is easier said than done.

I don't think they need to be in a brooder anymore at 6 weeks. I put mine out in their coop at 3 weeks with a heat lamp run on an extension cord in case they got cool. If they are in a brooder maybe they are needing more room? I know all kinds of problems come up when they do not have enough room. Just a recipe for disaster.

Back
Top Bottom