Need help asap with newly hatched chicken i dropped the egg!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by awhittaker, Jun 22, 2011.

1. awhittaker

awhittaker New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    OK i must be DUMB i was in the chicken coop and noticed a hen knocked out an egg so i picked it up to put under her while doing that mister bad A$$ the rooster came charging in ready to attack i dropped the egg on accident in my attempt to flee the rooster! well the egg broke and there was a chicken in there i had no idea it would even be that far along i picked it up brought it inside and put it in a brooder its peeping still curled up but stretches every once in a while his umbilical cord was detached i think in the dropping and falling out process it was bleeding but has since stopped i need to go check again iam not for sure how old this chick is but his belly where the umbilical cord was attached is rather round i am not sure if that is normal? as i have never encountered this problem and since i have no idea how far along he was he does have some feathers but iam not sure what to do any ideas suggestions thanks!!

2. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Don't have advice for helping the chick other than keeping it warm. Check the informational pages or do a search for more information. But I have to say that rooster would be the next in line for dumplings and dinner at my house. Too many nice roosters to put up with a cranky one. Guess it is a good thing he lives at your house instead of mine.

Oh, and [​IMG] You will love this web site

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. awhittaker

awhittaker New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    The only reason i like him is he will take on a predator we had a fox trying to get in one night and he kicked its butt other than that he would have been dinner A LONG TIME AGO:) i have been researching i think his belly is large from the yolk sac iam going to take a pic and post it i am hoping it makes it

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Oh I do not know about that. Hopefully someone comes on that can help you. Please keep us informed. [​IMG]

5. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Definitly pist pics so we can get a better idea. My very first hatch had a big fat round belly when she came out on her own. Good luck.

6. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    try putting some molasses in the water to give it some energy and keep it warm

Ive never had a chick come out early like that, i dont really know what else to tell ya [​IMG]

7. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    If it lives in the brooder for 6 to 10 hours the umbilical hole may close up and it may be fine. You will know when it is OK if it starts sitting up on its legs with its eyes open. Don't let it get too hot as it may not move around much and not drink til it gets some energy. try to keep it about 95 degrees and let it rest. It is a little weak from blood loss. They don't have much in them at this stage.

I've had some like this and sometimes I would leave them for hours and think by the time I got back they would be dead but they perked up and were fine. Sometimes they did die though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by