need help ASAP

Hiky_M

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Ok, me & my mother are trying to hatch 3 turkey, 1 chicken and 1 duck egg(s), we got them from my friend but their not sure how to hatch them, they are only about 2 days old, by what i herd you can't use a heating pad so what else could we use w/o buying a incubator that costs alot?

Thanks,
Hiky

P.S. Yes, they are fertilized.

Hi Hiky

Ok, when I first started hatching I used a toaster oven. Most toaster ovens don't have a temperature of 100 degrees which is what you need. So....turn the oven to "on" and "warm". Let the oven heat up all night WITHOUT THE EGGS IN IT. Also, Most toaster ovens come with a "drip pan". Fill the drip pan with water, cover it with the top. The next day you can place the eggs on the top cover. Place an X on one side of the eggs and a 0 on the other side. You have to turn the eggs at least 3 times a day. It will be a little bit hard to hatch a Variety of eggs, such as Turkey, chicken and duck at the same time. Because they all have different requirements. Chickens take 21 days to hatch, Turkeys 28-32 days, and I forget what the ducks take. However, lets say your going to do just the chicken eggs for now. Follow what I said above and in addition, remember to check your water level every two days or so. Keep the water filled with "warm water". Stop turning the eggs on the 18th day. You should start seeing little pips on the 20th day or 21st day. You can also use an electric skillet, but make sure to keep a small glass or bowl of water inside for the humidity. Also, if the dial does not have a 100 degree mark, put it on warm same as above. In both cases you have to keep that temperature about 100 degrees all the time. So don't open the hatch unless your turning the eggs. Good Luck. Anymore questions, email me.
smile.png

This may sound silly, but what kind of thermometer do you use, a glass one?? We are going to try this method of incubating but I was not sure what type of thermometer to use.

Thanks, Trish

Back
Top Bottom