Need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jamie1213, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jamie1213

Jamie1213 New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    I recently bought some chickens and I have noticed that some of them have a foamy looking substance coming from their eyes. I just noticed today that one is sneezing and my rooster is looking dumpy. He is not wanting to free range with his girls and his crop had very little food in it. What can I do. I don't want to lose my birds. I also have ducks should I be worried that they will get what my chickens have?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sounds like a definite respiratory infection. Have you noticed a bad smell around the birds face? I would start them on tylan50. Dose for large birds is 1/2 cc small birds 1/4 cc given once daily into the breast muscle for 5 days. Some respiratory infections are viral and in that case the antibiotic won't kill the virus but they can prevent a deadly secondary infection. In this case I would use the injectable over the water soluble antibiotic because dose is more consistent and not contingent on amount drank like with water soluble antibiotic. And it gets into the blood stream much faster. When they are ill they tend to not drink as much so injectable would be best for that reason as well. You can get the tylan50 and syringes at your feed store.do not fear that the bottle says for cattle and swine as many poultry owners have been very successful using tylan50 including myself. It is geared for upper respiratory infections and is the antibiotic Tylosin. I would start the tylan50 and see how they do. Many get good relief from tylan50. Keep in mind if it is viral antibiotic won't kill the virus.but like I said it will prevent a secondary infection while the bird fights the virus.if it is viral.the only way to know for certain is through testing. For now I would try the tylan50 and see how they fare.i hope this is helpful and wish you the best. Please keep us posted. God bless.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by