need help asap!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by skjoller97, Sep 14, 2014.

1. skjoller97

skjoller97 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    hi my brahma recently got very lethargic and doesn't like to open her eyes. she won't eat or drink unless i give it to her by hand. she poops out what looks to be the inside of an egg but has black stuff in it and a little white. I've been giving her Sulmet (antibacterial medicine) and i can't tell if its helped yet. she is a little shaky and i think she's lost weight. she is only about a year. any thoughts?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I'm sorry for your trouble. It sounds like she may have a broken egg or maybe is internally laying. Is the poo yellow like a yolk or clear and slimy like the white of a raw egg? I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do for her. Sorry.

3. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post asap at "emergencies, diseases, injuries , cures," thread - do so in as much detail as possible. Use the same heading NEED HELP ASAP!!!. Hope someone will be able to assist you soon.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen! [​IMG]Definitely post about her in the emergencies section; hopefully people there can help. Good luck!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your hen. Definitely post this in our emergency section for more help. I hope she is going to be ok.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your hen! I hope the people in the Emergencies section can help you out quickly!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourslef at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your hen!![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  9. skjoller97

skjoller97 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    its kind of both. what do you think about worms? she's getting thinner. heres a pic of her poop. its been like this once the other times it looks more like actual poop.[​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That looks like she is not eating and is dehydrated. Have you checked her for egg binding? Use a latex glove with some vaseline or ky jelly on the index finger and insert it into her vent. If she has a stuck egg, you will feel it with a fingers length. If not, she may have coccidiosis. That will cause them to be very tired, fluffed up, not eat or drink. Sul-met is just ok to use for cocci. But Corid ( Amprolium) will work much better and faster. Corid works in a couple days. Keep her eating what ever she will eat to keep her alive.

Worms are a possibility. What color is the comb? Have they ever been wormed before? I would check for egg binding and try the cocci meds first. If these are not the case, then turn to wormers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by