need help asap!

skjoller97

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
hi my brahma recently got very lethargic and doesn't like to open her eyes. she won't eat or drink unless i give it to her by hand. she poops out what looks to be the inside of an egg but has black stuff in it and a little white. I've been giving her Sulmet (antibacterial medicine) and i can't tell if its helped yet. she is a little shaky and i think she's lost weight. she is only about a year. any thoughts?

I'm sorry for your trouble. It sounds like she may have a broken egg or maybe is internally laying. Is the poo yellow like a yolk or clear and slimy like the white of a raw egg? I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do for her. Sorry.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Please post asap at "emergencies, diseases, injuries , cures," thread - do so in as much detail as possible. Use the same heading NEED HELP ASAP!!!. Hope someone will be able to assist you soon.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen!
hugs.gif
Definitely post about her in the emergencies section; hopefully people there can help. Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your hen. Definitely post this in our emergency section for more help. I hope she is going to be ok.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your hen! I hope the people in the Emergencies section can help you out quickly!

its kind of both. what do you think about worms? she's getting thinner. heres a pic of her poop. its been like this once the other times it looks more like actual poop.

That looks like she is not eating and is dehydrated. Have you checked her for egg binding? Use a latex glove with some vaseline or ky jelly on the index finger and insert it into her vent. If she has a stuck egg, you will feel it with a fingers length. If not, she may have coccidiosis. That will cause them to be very tired, fluffed up, not eat or drink. Sul-met is just ok to use for cocci. But Corid ( Amprolium) will work much better and faster. Corid works in a couple days. Keep her eating what ever she will eat to keep her alive.

Worms are a possibility. What color is the comb? Have they ever been wormed before? I would check for egg binding and try the cocci meds first. If these are not the case, then turn to wormers.

Back
Top Bottom