Need Help! Bandaid splint not working.

fjorddreamer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hi,

I have one buff orpington chick with a splayed leg. It is over a week old now. It eats, drinks and poops normal and has grown as well as the others. Seems healthy, no chirping, and is able to get around. It just doesn't run and play much with the others as it's not able to walk as well. I have been using the bandaid method for several days now but the foot still turns out. It is bent from the hock down. It is up on his feet, so not bad like some splayed leg pictures I've seen, however, even with the bandaids, etc. on it's leg will still turn out almost behind him. I've tried making it tighter, I've used different types of tape and vet wrap and tried many things but nothing holds it straight enough. I don't want to give up on it since it's seems to be thriving and comfortable in every other way. I really think it needs something like a straw or popsicle stick taped to the leg to keep it straight but I haven't been able to find a picture of that. Can someone help me? I don't know how to do it!!!

Unfortunately, my &*#%^& camera will not transfer its pictures to my computer!!!!!!!!! Some kind of USB trouble.

He stands up quite well on his right leg. His left leg mostly splays from the hock outward and the foot almost turns backwards. It is still supple enough, though, that when I turn it forward to tape it, it doesn't seem to cause him discomfort and it will turn into the right position. I'm still convinced it can be straightened but the bandaids, etc. that I've used just don't stay tight enough, or fall off after awhile.

He is strong and the others don't pick on him or anything, so I really believe he could be mended, even though he is 8 or 9 days old.

You could try putting a very tiny rubber band on each leg, then tying them together with large fishing line. That usually works for me...they can still move enough to walk, but it keeps their feet under them.

Have you found anything that worked for you? I have a chick with the same issue. I can move her leg into the normal position but it just doesn't stay. The band aid didn't work for me either. I tried tape and a sponge between her legs as a spacer which failed as well. She had a hard time moving around in that.

We tried absolutely EVERYTHING!!!! I tried all the ideas on here and I searched other sites and did every different thing, and nothing worked!!! :-( It seemed that the leg was going the wrong way from the hip joint, so no matter what we did to hold it in the righ position, it would still turn at the hip and the leg would go right out behind him. He could get around and was eating and drinking and growing, but as the chicks got older and could run and around and fly at each other, etc., he always just stayed in the middle of the pack. He couldn't "play" like the others and we knew he would probably get worse as he got heavier, etc. We, eventually, made the decision to cull him, which was difficult, because he was healthy in every other way. It was sad but it was just so miserable to see him paddling along with that bad leg and not able to walk properly. :-( I hope you have better luck.

Thanks. I am sorry you had to cull your little guy. I am thinking I will have to do the same. She is eating and drinking but just isn't growing as fast as the others. She is in with 3 her same age and they keep on stepping on her leg, I am sure it has to hurt but she doesn't complain. Her leg also seems to ge out at the hip joint.

Back
Top Bottom