Need help! Bantam Cochin unsteady: other has poopy butt

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
My sweet little Snickerdoodle seemed to be a little unstable and unbalanced yesterday. She’s about 6-7 months old. She doesn’t seem to be unwell, just flailing.

According to what I have read, it can be vitamin deficiency. One of our girlies laid her first egg yesterday: it may be her: if so, could she need a vitamin boost? She’s really tiny. She is a bantam Frizzle Cochin, all fluff, and, probably only weighs about 1 1/2 pounds. I have baby vitamins and B-12 in my chirpie first aid kit.

Would vitamins be a good idea? If so, how much and how often?

Should I separate her?

Should I give her electrolytes?

I have antibiotics but she isn’t acting ill. I don’t want to give her something she doesn’t need.

I also have an issue with Betty White. She is our friendliest hen. She is a California Tan. She has runny poop. I cleaned her real well and cut the feathers away. She was quite raw so I put blue-cote on her butt. She is acting normal. Should she be treated or separated from the flock?

Attachments

• 5289537F-7D64-4A1F-8587-3967C318651E.jpeg
    5289537F-7D64-4A1F-8587-3967C318651E.jpeg
    728.8 KB · Views: 7
Try giving electrolytes and sugar water before you try anything else. If this is just a temporary thing, that will resolve it. If not, move to the vitamins, and follow the dosage directions on the bottle. You can give any B vitamin up to half a tab for a small hen. But B-complex would be better as B-2, B-6 and B-12 will all improve leg nerve connections.

Back
Top Bottom