Need HELP!!! BR Pullet w/ paralyzed legs, FACE TURNED BLUE (new photos

I lost a hen recently to mareks and she was displaying exactly the same symtoms, she would eat and drink and was very strong but she eventually got weaker as she had a twisted neck aswell and couldnt reach the food herself and it was very difficult to feed her like that, she died after a week. Mareks can also lay dormant in your flock they may be carrying it and one day it might affect them, then again it might not, I lost 3 birds all at seperate times and all with different symptoms. I hope that is not what she has but I think you should also prepare yourself for it

Thank you for that link. I don't think it's botulism, based on the symptoms.

Her face turning blue on both sides just happened today but other than that, she seems in very good spirits and eats and drinks.

Anyone know what is causing the blue on her face??

Blue on the face and pale all along might be an indication of organ failure. Heart failure can lead to bad blood flow = blue face. Could potentially be liver/kidney failure causing blood flow issues. Of course, if her legs are paralyzed of sorts, what ever is causing that could also affect the heart muscle. Sorry I'm not more help. BTW, she's a barred rock.

Thanks for the response. Will pass that along to her owner, who she is home with, now.

Sorry about posting Rhode Island Red, I have no idea where that came from! She is indeed a Barred Plymouth Rock, and that was what I meant to post.
hmm.png

I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to crush a little regular aspirin and give her about 1/4 of it a day. At least it might make her feel better. She looks so unhappy her picture haunts me.

Thanks, chkn - I will tell her owner that. Anything that might make her feel more comfortable or help her is worth a try. We really want this little girl to pull through!!

Back
Top Bottom