Paralyzed legs

Sc Owell Farm

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Hello all, I've been reading through some posts on paralyzed chickens, but our girl Ruth seems to have different symptoms. Looking for any advice. Ruth was rehomed to us by a family who didn't want their birds anymore, so sadly we don't know her age or vaccination status. There's only one place to buy chicks in town and I know they vaccinate, so odds are good. We've had her about a year. 2 roosters, 17 other hens, several being her companions at her last home. Free range during the day but with all the snow, they don't go far from the coop.

Yesterday we found her laying in the coop with a bloody comb but no other apparent injuries. She had some poop stuck on her, but not hardened so I don't think she's been down for long.

Last year we had a similar situation with another bird. Necropsy showed it was cancer though and to be considered rare.

We have her in a sling and she's drinking and eating on her own. We're providing vitamin water. Neck and wings are normal and she's quite feisty but her legs don't work. No attempt to stand on them, toes have no reaction or attempt at griping anything. No movement of tail.

I think she may have gotten paralyzed somehow. Any other thoughts out there?

Thank you all!

@Zoohtasim, I read through your 2021 post which gave me some hope. I know this was a few years ago, but do you remember if her feet made any attempt to grip your fingers or if they were just limp?

Giving her a scramble with extra calcium now in case this is egg related.

Hello all, I've been reading through some posts on paralyzed chickens, but our girl Ruth seems to have different symptoms. Looking for any advice. Ruth was rehomed to us by a family who didn't want their birds anymore, so sadly we don't know her age or vaccination status. There's only one place to buy chicks in town and I know they vaccinate, so odds are good. We've had her about a year. 2 roosters, 17 other hens, several being her companions at her last home. Free range during the day but with all the snow, they don't go far from the coop.

Yesterday we found her laying in the coop with a bloody comb but no other apparent injuries. She had some poop stuck on her, but not hardened so I don't think she's been down for long.

Last year we had a similar situation with another bird. Necropsy showed it was cancer though and to be considered rare.

We have her in a sling and she's drinking and eating on her own. We're providing vitamin water. Neck and wings are normal and she's quite feisty but her legs don't work. No attempt to stand on them, toes have no reaction or attempt at griping anything. No movement of tail.

I think she may have gotten paralyzed somehow. Any other thoughts out there?

Thank you all!
How do you think she got the bloody comb? I'd suspect she's being picked on; however, it wouldn't explain paralyzed legs.

In case it's neurological or a vitamin deficiency, have you tried Vit E therapy? If not, you need about 400 i.u. pills of your own is fine and your B-Complex. The Vit E, you just pop in her mouth. Do not cut it, she'll swallow it. Follow that up with some scrambled eggs for the E absorption. If she's small, I'd give her 1/4 of one of your Vit B-Complex, 1/2 of one if she's regular sized or large. I'd do these things daily for two weeks and see if there's improvement. If not, it's something else.

Do you know when she last laid? Sometimes a stuck egg can press on nerves and cause leg issues. I would give the vitamins suggested, and if egg binding could be a cause (check for a stuck egg, insert your finger 1-2" into the vent, see if you can feel anything), then a calcium citrate +D (citracal or generic) once a day can help her expel that. 600 mg daily is the usual.

Thank you Debbie292d!

She is not generally picked on but I can imagine it happening after her lack of walking. Chickens be fierce. Regardless, I agree the two are unrelated. We checked our cameras around the coop and confirmed no predators were involved.

We started with a basic vitamin mix we give during winter to keep everyone perked up. I'll start vitamin e and b now since she's enjoying her calcium infused scramble now.

Do you know when she last laid? Sometimes a stuck egg can press on nerves and cause leg issues. I would give the vitamins suggested, and if egg binding could be a cause (check for a stuck egg, insert your finger 1-2" into the vent, see if you can feel anything), then a calcium citrate +D (citracal or generic) once a day can help her expel that. 600 mg daily is the usual.
Sadly we aren't sure when she last laid. We rarely see her in the nest boxes and were beginning to think she's past her egg laying days. She had a warm bath yesterday and will have another with Epsom salt later today. We can't feel anything from the outside but it sounds like it's time to put on the gloves.

Just completed an egg check and did not feel anything. We're giving her a break from the sling and letting her lay in the sun. After giving her the vitamins she made a fuss and had her wings spread for balance. This is the first time we've seen movement of her tail. Her tail perked up and it seemed like she was pushing. She is able to poop and it looks normal if a bit runny from all the water, but no egg.

If she's an older bird then a reproductive problem is possible. Does her abdomen feel bloated at all, either very firm, or water balloon like? How is her weight? Is her keel bone very prominent, or is it well muscled? Compare with others if you aren't sure, chart below also, but it can vary some by breed, some birds are just naturally leaner than others.
Poultry keel bone schematic for bcs.jpg

If she's an older bird then a reproductive problem is possible. Does her abdomen feel bloated at all, either very firm, or water balloon like? How is her weight? Is her keel bone very prominent, or is it well muscled? Compare with others if you aren't sure, chart below also, but it can vary some by breed, some birds are just naturally leaner than others.
View attachment 3768860
This is a great chart! I would put her at a 2. Her abdomen doesn't feel bloated or too firm. It has a good give without feeling squishy. She seems to be pulsing(?) her cloaca causing the ab muscles to relax and contract. But she doesn't seem distressed. She started trying to knee walk and so it seems she can move her thighs, just not the lower legs or feet.

Going to keep her inside and continue vitamin regiment.

Just wanted to send an update. Ruth is still with us, bright as day and alert as ever. But her lower legs still have no movement or response.
She's still eating and drinking on her own; only signs of distress are when she seems to realize she can't stand.
We've completed several more checks on her lower legs, but nothing feels broken or dislocated. Her thighs are moving, but feel underdeveloped and very skinny.
Her nails are extremely long, so I gave them a clip, but I'm beginning to think this may be a symptom of a deeper problem.
No eggs, but normal excrement.
She seems to be frustrated at not being able stand, but otherwise, shows no signs of pain or discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom