Need Help Choosing A Breed?!?!?

I cannot tell you what to choose, but I can give you input on the breeds that I have. Only one has laid an egg so far, so I can't comment on the production.

Buff Orpington - I have 4 and they all have different personalities. They started off not really liking me too much, except for one. The one who always was friendly, Nona, is still very interested in me and will follow me about the yard. The most skittish one, Fluffy, all of a sudden became super friendly. Every time she sees me she comes running. They don't love being held, but they all tolerate it well. They are quite compared to some others I have (except when they are laying eggs!).

Black Sex-Linked - I have 3 BSL. I hated them as chicks and I wanted to get rid of them all. They were the least friendly of all my chicks. The squawk and raise hell when they are picked up - still to this day. They are loud. One of them is quick to let you know when she is upset. It isn't a bock noise it is a long wah type sound, lol. However, now that they are older, I can tell that they feel a part of the family and are comfortable with me. They follow me around and do not feel I am a threat. They generally trust people from afar; they are not mean. They have been bossy with the other chickens and tend to challenge one another quite a bit. They never do any damage it is usually chasing.

White Leg Horn - I have one WLH, Pearl, and she is really a sweetie. I got her from free from the local feed store because she was the only chick left and they didn't want her to be lonely. As a chick, she loved to jump out of the brooder to be with us. She is very affectionate for a chicken when it is a one on one scenario. Out in the yard she mostly keeps to herself. She is smallish and quite. I didn't think I would like LHs as much as I do.

Maran (splash) - I do not know if the coloring makes a difference in the temperament, but I purchased 2 splash Maran pullets from a breeder. The one never really warmed up to me, but Sweetie use to fly onto our shoulders to be with us. We couldn't keep her away from us, so I know this breed can be very affectionate. They have grown to be very sweet birds, but they are lower in the pecking order, I don't know if maybe they are too docile?

Lavender Orpingtons - I got these 2 at the same time as the Marans. While they are beautiful they are skittish as all get out! I have no sort of connection with them at all. I do not know if it is the breeding or just the fact that I didn't raise them from day one (which given the account of the Marans seems to be less likely). They are, however, quiet. They are very low in the pecking order and, once again, maybe too docile.

There are so many great and interesting breeds out there. Black Australorps were high on my list but I couldn't get my hands on them at the time. I hope that this will help in some way. Good luck.

I cannot tell you what to choose, but I can give you input on the breeds that I have. Only one has laid an egg so far, so I can't comment on the production.

Buff Orpington - I have 4 and they all have different personalities. They started off not really liking me too much, except for one. The one who always was friendly, Nona, is still very interested in me and will follow me about the yard. The most skittish one, Fluffy, all of a sudden became super friendly. Every time she sees me she comes running. They don't love being held, but they all tolerate it well. They are quite compared to some others I have (except when they are laying eggs!).

Black Sex-Linked - I have 3 BSL. I hated them as chicks and I wanted to get rid of them all. They were the least friendly of all my chicks. The squawk and raise hell when they are picked up - still to this day. They are loud. One of them is quick to let you know when she is upset. It isn't a bock noise it is a long wah type sound, lol. However, now that they are older, I can tell that they feel a part of the family and are comfortable with me. They follow me around and do not feel I am a threat. They generally trust people from afar; they are not mean. They have been bossy with the other chickens and tend to challenge one another quite a bit. They never do any damage it is usually chasing.

White Leg Horn - I have one WLH, Pearl, and she is really a sweetie. I got her from free from the local feed store because she was the only chick left and they didn't want her to be lonely. As a chick, she loved to jump out of the brooder to be with us. She is very affectionate for a chicken when it is a one on one scenario. Out in the yard she mostly keeps to herself. She is smallish and quite. I didn't think I would like LHs as much as I do.

Maran (splash) - I do not know if the coloring makes a difference in the temperament, but I purchased 2 splash Maran pullets from a breeder. The one never really warmed up to me, but Sweetie use to fly onto our shoulders to be with us. We couldn't keep her away from us, so I know this breed can be very affectionate. They have grown to be very sweet birds, but they are lower in the pecking order, I don't know if maybe they are too docile?

Lavender Orpingtons - I got these 2 at the same time as the Marans. While they are beautiful they are skittish as all get out! I have no sort of connection with them at all. I do not know if it is the breeding or just the fact that I didn't raise them from day one (which given the account of the Marans seems to be less likely). They are, however, quiet. They are very low in the pecking order and, once again, maybe too docile.

There are so many great and interesting breeds out there. Black Australorps were high on my list but I couldn't get my hands on them at the time. I hope that this will help in some way. Good luck.
You are right those are all very good breeds.

Thanks for all the help and info!!

Let us know what you decide! We like to discuss different breeds, etc. and how they are in our own flocks.

My RIR hen is the loudest out of my bunch. She sees me come out the back door to feed the dogs, and she knows I'm headed that way next, so she lets us all know about it!

Thanks for all the help and info!!
OK
smile.png

Let us know what you decide! We like to discuss different breeds, etc. and how they are in our own flocks.

My RIR hen is the loudest out of my bunch. She sees me come out the back door to feed the dogs, and she knows I'm headed that way next, so she lets us all know about it!
WOW, I feed my dogs as well. I have two dogs.
smile.png
love.gif

I think that the sex-linked chickens get their loudness from the RIR breed!

I think that the sex-linked chickens get their loudness from the RIR breed!
Yes, I think you are right.
smile.png

Me too. I noticed that some BSL chickens I had previously were very vocal. Now, it's my RIR and my Buff Brahma hen that talk my ear off.
Really, WOW.
smile.png

I have two rescue dogs that are mid-sized. They get fed in the mornings before I go take care of the chickens.
OK, do you feed your dogs at night, not just in the morning?
smile.png

It depends but I really prefer the buff orpington because is too docile and it can go broody but if you are looking for friendliness chickens then the orpington is best choice.

Back
Top Bottom