Need Help Choosing a Breed!

I'm a big fan of barred rocks, but you said you want to add color to your flock, so... Well, depending on where you get them, Easter-eggers can be friendly and you can't get much more colorful! My little Betty lets my 2yo niece pick her up, and all of them from this year (including the barred rocks) will gather around me for attention if I sit or crouch.
Barred rocks would win my vote, though. Friendliest breed I've ever owned. My girl, Freema, tugs on my pantlegs when she wants attention, and all of them but Kate don't mind being picked up and snuggled. Kate's shy, but not wild, per say. Just skilled at avoiding human affection.
lol.png

(I'm on my tablet, so I'll have to get pictures later if you're interested.
wink.png
)

Black Sex-links!
They are beautiful, wonderful egg layers, and very sociable!
I don't have a great pic of my girl Star, but they are soo pretty! Thier black feathers have a beautiful turquoise sheen, and thier red feathers are beautiful!
You will know immediately whether they are girls or bosy, that is, if you are getting a chick.
Thier feathers are also very very soft! You really should get one!!!

Here's Star.
89747_img_19601.jpg

89747_img_19261.jpg

I just found these pics on Bing.
bsexlink_1year.jpg

blackstarhen.jpg

Quote:
interesting, my black sex-links are as wild as they get, not at all sociable!
the rest of mine are New Hampshires, very gentle, easily handled, not spooky at all. reliable layers too, extra large tan-to-brown eggs.

The friendliest chickens I've ever had were buff orps and EEs. But Sassafras is right - you've got to get more than one! Welsummers are great and lay beautiful dark brown eggs. I also have buff brahmas that haven't started laying yet but are very sweet. There's a recent thread that might be helpful called something like "If you could only have 10 chickens" and it's full of people's opinions and might give you some good ideas.
Good luck! Tough decision -

I don't know if they are exactly what you are looking for but Easter Eggers sure are sweet, polite and some are a tad shy in an absolutely adoreable way. They can come in great colors too, plus you get blue eggs from them.

Peeper
68054_snow_day_010.jpg

68054_snow_day_020.jpg

Muffy
68054_reg_nosy_espy_961.jpg

I love my Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Beautiful, calm birds and pretty good layers too! I have to say that my lavender Ameraucanas are the friendliest though of all the chicken breeds I own. They just started laying and seem to be great producers of a beautiful minty blue egg.
54909_p1100946.jpg

54909_p1110161.jpg

54909_p1080648.jpg

54909_p1110142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom