Need Help Choosing a Breed!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Red Rooster, Nov 30, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I'm looking for a friend for my BR named Auntie. I sold all of the standard sized girls, and now she is very depressed.

Please, if you have the time, post below what breed you would defiantly recommend. It needs to be standard size only. I would really like to see pictures of the breed also.

What I'm looking for in the breed.

1) A good egg layer.

2) A friendly bird. I already have to many wild chickens.

3) A pretty chicken to dress up my flock.

Thanks in advance for your help! [​IMG]

2. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    Buff Orp Buff Orp Buff Orp!!! Oh I Love Them Love Them Love Em!

3. The Red Rooster

Quote:I have been considering Buff Orps. They are the friendliest bird of the planet!

4. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    The favorite chicken I've had so far was a Silver Laced Wyandotte, she was super friendly, layed almost daily, in the year and a half I had her she never went broody, and she was beautiful! We just lost her about a month ago to a raccoon (I think) and the flock just isn't the same without her. We have 2 Black copper Marans and an Easter Egger left now and they are really flighty without her around, she was the greatest! We want to add a couple more chickens to the flock, but I don't know if I can get another silver laced wyandotte-there's just no way it could be as cool as the one we had, so I am trying to find a Blue Jersey Giant and a Tolbunt Polish (but not having any luck....bah!!)

Good luck on making your selection, there are too many good breeds to choose from!!

5. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Quote:Are Orpingtons as broody as I hear? I would LOVE a blue Orp, but I don't want to have to deal with a broody girl all the time. (We aren't allowed roosters within city limits, so I won't be hatching any eggs....) Orps have the absolute BEST fluffy butts!!!

6. The Red Rooster

Quote:Thank you! Silver Laced Wyandotte's have caught my attention many times. I'll google the breed and read about them.

7. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree a buff orphington is the only way to go.[​IMG]

8. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Buff Orpington!!!!!!!!

Nellie:
    [​IMG]
    Penny:
    [​IMG]

If you want more pics, I have MILLIONS! Just PM me!

9. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Quote:
    cute. my buffs name is mille, they rhyme.​

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have Jersey Giants, 4 years now and still a favorite. Mine are friendly and inquisitive, and lay pretty good. Not as good as an Orp tho.
    Orps are great, any color, Wyandottes are great, any color.
    SpeckledHen's fav is Barred Rocks, and I have to agree, friendly and nosy, has become one of my favs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by