Need help! Classroom hatching eggs

teacher_hawk

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Hello,
I am a 3rd grade teacher and am trying to hatch some chick eggs! I just put in 12 top hat chick eggs into the incubator today, so keep your fingers crossed for us!

I have a question about the humidity level. I know the wet bulb temperature is supposed to be around 86 degrees. However, it's a couple degrees higher than that right now. What I'm worried about is that when I turned the eggs today the bottom of the egg was wet, plus the clear top on the incubator has moisture at the bottom. Does this mean there is too much water and humidity is too high?

I'm just so nervous for my kids that we won't get any chicks!

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

If there is water on the lid its to humid.
I dont know anything about wet bulb
40-45% humidity for days 1-18
60-70% humidity for days 19-21
Still air bator you want around 101
Circulated air bator you want about 99.5
What kind of bator do you have?
how are you turning them?

Do you have the air vents open ? If you open them it will lower the Hum a bit. Or take some water out. If you sit the incubator on 2 books do it is a couple inches off the counter it will be able to draw in fresh air from the holes in the bottom as well. Does your bator have a circulating fan or is it still air ?

Styrofoam incubators usually have a plug or two that can be removed to help control humidity. Wooden ones have openings with slides.

Good luck!

It does sound like the humidity is too high.
I would take any added water out of your incubator right now.
What kind of incubator do you have?
Compare your conditions to what you think a mother hen would provide. The eggs never are wet with the mother hen.
(If you can get one a hydrometer from a pet store is inexpensive and can give you more information as you go along)

I will definitely go purchase a hydrometer for it. Where is the best place to find one?

My incubator does not have any vents, it's not styrofoam. It has a plastic see through lid for observation. I also have an automatic turner on it, so hopefully I won't have to come to the school on the weekend!

I'm very excited about it. Thank for you helping me out so much, my class appreciates it too!

I got my hydrometer from Pet Valu store, but you should be able to find one in any pet supply store, particularly where reptile supplies are sold. It is meant for reptiles, but a lot of people use this kind and mine has worked out great so far.

Good luck! I have a third grader who is really enjoying the incubating process at our home.

Back
Top Bottom