need help desiding on new chicks and infomation.

Poultryboy15

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
Texas
i have a new coop (3rd one) big enough for 12 hens and 1 rooster so i need some ideas on what to add to this coop. and i want to raise game birds (pheasants) am i able to raise them together?

Mostly the basics: nest boxes, waterers, litter/bedding, maybe a feeder, etc. Something, like extra light, are not used by everyone. As far as housing pheasants with chickens....I don't know, I do know that you can't keep quail with chickens because the chickens can pass something to the quail that can kill or make them sick, but not the chickens.

Most pheasants raised with chickens will die. I think it's a bacterial thing.

But I suppose you could raise all pheasants??

Raising different types of fowl together is a bad idea. We learned about it in one of my animal classes in college. The same types of fowls have similar immune systems. When bacteria is exposed to these fowl, they are usually able to fight it off because they are used to it. However, when a different fowl is with them and comes in contact with another bacteria, that fowl may be able to fight it off because it is used to it, but the chickens might not be used to that bacteria. The same can happen vice versa. I don't think its impossible to do but you have to make sure you keep your coop or whatever space very clean and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom