Need help determining breed

Puppis

Chirping
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Bucks County, PA
Hello,

I can't determine what breed this little gold hen is and it's leading me to question two other birds I thought I had straight.

I hatched her in April and she is the only one I can't identify (so I thought). I received a bunch of eggs that were pure breeds and with them I hatched some mutt eggs given to me from a friend (all blue eggs). I was certain this gold hen came from one of the pure eggs but maybe not. All the others turned out to be exactly what I thought at the time of hatching - at least I think so. It's possible I confused who hatched from a mutt egg and who did not at one point since many chicks are very similar - but she was always a very distinctive chick, the prettiest one hatched from that batch.

My questions are:

1. Do you think the gold hen is one of the mutts after all?
2. If she is a mutt, perhaps I mixed her up with the large white necked rooster shown in the photos? We thought he was a blue egg mutt, but he does look like a Faverolle - he sure was a monstrosity growing up, but now he's getting handsome. He has five toes. I did incubate a few Faverolle eggs in that batch.
3. The little buff/tan colored hen drinking next to the rooster was thought to hatch out of an egg marked Faverolle, does it look like a Faverolle? It has no beard - I forget how many toes. She is the one with the red arrow pointing to her in one photo.

Someone just started laying blue eggs this week (didn't catch who it is yet) and it could be the little gold hen. I'm thinking I did mix them up now that I looked at Faverolle roosters online.

Now that they are mature I'd like to give some birds to the friend that gave me the blue eggs, but I want to know what I'm giving her and be sure not to give her some that are related to her birds to avoid inbreeding.

I hope that all made sense.

Thank you for any help. Pardon the dirty yellow color of the rooster, he's normally very tidy and white.

Lisa

unknownd.jpg

unknownf.jpg

unknownb.jpg

uknowna.jpg

favorolle.jpg

fav.jpg

favroos.jpg

favroo.jpg

favo.jpg

The Buff Columbian hen in the top pics looks like a Buff Brahma, but she shouldn't have the black spots on her back. She has a pea comb and feathered legs, but the brahma type isn't quite there. So I'd say she's a buff brahma mix.

The hen in the pic with the Fav. roo does not look like a Faverolle to me. I'd say she's a mix too.

Thank you so much for the fast replies and compliments.

I just checked and the supposed "Faverolle hen" only has four toes. I currently have a Faverolle chick from another hatch that looks much more like what I expect a Faverolle to look like, but no beard. I'll have to research that one later too. It's gorgeous.

Mixes would make sense, Rareroo. I was told with the pure eggs that there was a small chance of a mixed breed but that for the most part they would be pure. They keep breeds isolated for breeding purposes but you never know. I know all of the blue eggs are from a wide variety of free range chickens, my friend doesn't isolate breeds at all.

I love those first two birds, they're very pretty - thank you. The rooster's coloring reminds me of fire. One day I'll have to get a photo of him in the sun. He's small but very handsome. He's a mutt for sure - came from a blue egg.

I think when I find the hen laying the blue egg I'll have a more concrete answer as to who's related to who. This will help me prevent my friend and I from inbreeding chickens by accident.

Thank you again.

Lisa

Hello again,

I just looked up Buff Brahmas Rareroo, and the gold hen looked just like one as a chick, it was very attractive. And she really resembles one now, but definitely has something else mixed in there.

Thank you very much.

Lisa

Quote:
Wow, I'll say. Just the combs are different. I have to wait for a nice day and go out with my better camera to take photos of everyone.

OK! All the hens I would say are EE's. They all look to have green legs..
The Black breasted red EE rooster in the picture with the Buff EE looks to have feathered legs all so..

Chris

Back
Top Bottom