Need help determining the gender of this chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alexandherpets, Oct 8, 2014.

1. alexandherpets

alexandherpets Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I hatched three eggs that hatched early this morning ( paint silkies) and one actually hatched black with white streaks through his or her feathers. He or she has a white chin so I was wondering if that could have any bareing on it's gender? So far it seems to be the calmest chick out of all of them. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the white chin on a black chick determined whether it was male or female but it could have been for a certain kind of chicken breed. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Paint crossed with Paint does not equal sex-linked chicks. You should be able to tell the gender of your chick the normal way (by appearance/development) when it is at least 10 weeks old. I've never heard of a white chin being a sex-linked trait on any breed, though it very well could be.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred chicks hatch out black/dark with a white spot on the head. Paint x Paint shouldn't have any barring in the mix. You'll just have to wait it out [​IMG]

5. americanchicker

americanchicker Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Is this a rooster? About 8 weeks old.. middle pic is with its "sister" she is darker, no real comb.. they both have a little black wash on the front of their legs.. but this one looks like its getting a comb and wattles the other doesn't

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Aime137

Aime137 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Loxahatchee, FL
    The feathering looks like pullets.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon