Need help diagnosing desise

Zmajce

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2019
My oldest flock of hybrids has been claimed by ehat i belive to be chiken pox. Altough im not sure i really need help trying to treat this right away since ive already lost around 6 chickens to it. My greatest concern is the possibility for it to trasfer to my younger flocks. Since my younger flocks are from brids rasied locally they should be immune to chiken pox but i wouldnt trust it. I really need answers soon if possible, thanks.
IMG_20190921_161731.jpg
IMG_20190921_161724.jpg

I would check to see if there are lesions in their mouths, if they have both dry and wet that is a hard one, which is most likely if you are seeing deaths, They come from a secondary infection most of the time. the farm store should have some powdered penicillin or amoxicillin 250mg to dose them with but the other more experiences ones know dosages to give

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. That is a pretty bad strain of pox, especially since you are seeing scabs on the feathered areas. Look inside the beak and throat for any yellow or white gunk that may be lesions of wet or diphtheritic fowl powl, a much more deadly type of pox. If they have those lesions, they can have problems eating and drinking. If eyes are gunky, you can put antibiotic ointment into them twice a day. Do not disturb the scabs otherwise, since that spreads the pox virus. Young ones will tend to get much sicker with pox. They are only immune to the same strain of pox if they have had it before. There is a fowl pox vaccine available for birds who have not developed scabs. Where are you located?

Welcome to BYC. That is a pretty bad strain of pox, especially since you are seeing scabs on the feathered areas. Look inside the beak and throat for any yellow or white gunk that may be lesions of wet or diphtheritic fowl powl, a much more deadly type of pox. If they have those lesions, they can have problems eating and drinking. If eyes are gunky, you can put antibiotic ointment into them twice a day. Do not disturb the scabs otherwise, since that spreads the pox virus. Young ones will tend to get much sicker with pox. They are only immune to the same strain of pox if they have had it before. There is a fowl pox vaccine available for birds who have not developed scabs. Where are you located?
Im located in Bosnia And Herzegovina. Ill go to the vet station tomorrow and check there for best possible treatments. I just needed to make sure that its the chiken pox. I currently own 3 flocks of around 60 birds of diffrent age.

Back
Top Bottom