Need help diagnosing potential illness

Crazy chickn lady

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2023
Perth, Western Australia
One of my Australorps, Molly, recently had bumble foot. We thought we had cured it, but turns out it hadnt fully healed and she also had it on her other foot. We have now successfully removed the core.

I dont know if it's related, but she stopped laying awhile ago even though she's about 2 yrs old, and the past couple days when Ive gone to look at her feet, i feel her crop and it's completely empty. Now, I know she eats the treats I take out for them because I watch her eat but besides from that i never really see her near the feeder, she usually stands or sits near her extremely broody best friend, Peggy. She's quiet, not that she's the loudest but she's often sleeping. Her comb is also discoloured and possibly swollen? (I know she is recovering from Fowl Pox, i dont need the diagnosis of that, when looking ar the photos look at the paler, discoloured, swollen part). She still grooms herself regularly and comes out when i let them out to free range, but often hangs close to her broody bestie.

I've done a check over and everything else is fine.
I'm worried about her, not sure if I'm over reacting.

Attachments

• 20240315_115952.jpg
    20240315_115952.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240315_115950.jpg
    20240315_115950.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240315_115940.jpg
    20240315_115940.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240315_115909.jpg
    20240315_115909.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240315_115828.jpg
    20240315_115828.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 7
Check her crop in the evenings right before you lock them up for the night to get the best indication of whether she is eating. Check her crop again first thing in the morning to make sure it’s empty.

Is her poop normal? How long since she stopped laying?

She hasn't laid in a few weeks at least. No, her poop isn't normal. It's darker than normal. I took a photo because it definitely isn't normal.
1000003642.jpg

Check her crop in the evenings right before you lock them up for the night to get the best indication of whether she is eating. Check her crop again first thing in the morning to make sure it’s empty.

Is her poop normal? How long since she stopped laying?

Attachments

• 20240317_171559.jpg
    20240317_171559.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 7
Do you worm them?

Feel her belly beneath her vent and before her keel bone starts. Feel one of your others who is laying normally to compare. The belly should be soft and squishy.

If you compare the breast muscle on either side of the keel bone as well, does she feel thin?

Do you worm them?

Feel her belly beneath her vent and before her keel bone starts. Feel one of your others who is laying normally to compare. The belly should be soft and squishy.

If you compare the breast muscle on either side of the keel bone as well, does she feel thin?
I did but only with a de-wormer that's used in water, so I'm not sure if the amount was adequate. I've purchased the tablets, just waiting for them to arrive.

She definitely is a lot thinner than she was a month or 2 ago. She does feel thin and her belly isn't soft or squishy, its quite firm. Another thing I've observed her doing quite frequently is looking down, between her legs, as if something is irritating her in that area. Ive had a thorough look and there's nothing unusual there. I soaked her legs and applied vaseline to them, incase of mites. I'm thinking it could be some sort of parasitic infection maybe??

She definitely is a lot thinner than she was a month or 2 ago. She does feel thin and her belly isn't soft or squishy, its quite firm. Another thing I've observed her doing quite frequently is looking down, between her legs, as if something is irritating her in that area. Ive had a thorough look and there's nothing unusual there. I soaked her legs and applied vaseline to them, incase of mites. I'm thinking it could be some sort of parasitic infection maybe??

You can take a picture of her legs or her belly area if you are concerned about mites and we can have a look and give opinion.

The firm belly is concerning. Unfortunately high production layers are susceptible to reproductive issues especially from 2 years onwards. She may have an infection or another internal issue.

You can try worming her again when you get the tablets and give her some scrambled eggs to encourage her to eat. If vet care is an option they could probably ultrasound her belly and give more treatment options. At home you are limited with what you can do unfortunately.

One of my Australorps, Molly, recently had bumble foot. We thought we had cured it, but turns out it hadnt fully healed and she also had it on her other foot. We have now successfully removed the core.

I dont know if it's related, but she stopped laying awhile ago even though she's about 2 yrs old, and the past couple days when Ive gone to look at her feet, i feel her crop and it's completely empty. Now, I know she eats the treats I take out for them because I watch her eat but besides from that i never really see her near the feeder, she usually stands or sits near her extremely broody best friend, Peggy. She's quiet, not that she's the loudest but she's often sleeping. Her comb is also discoloured and possibly swollen? (I know she is recovering from Fowl Pox, i dont need the diagnosis of that, when looking ar the photos look at the paler, discoloured, swollen part). She still grooms herself regularly and comes out when i let them out to free range, but often hangs close to her broody bestie.

I've done a check over and everything else is fine.
I'm worried about her, not sure if I'm over reacting.
What does the inside of her beak look like?

Back
Top Bottom