Need help diagnosing flock.

smithbrian524

Hatching
Feb 26, 2017
I have a flock of 15 that for the most part stopped laying. 0,1, or 2 eggs a day right now. I think many of them are molting which would explain the drop in egg count, but two are exceptional. One I believe to be a jersey giant can't hardly walk any more as of today, and one Plymouth Rock is barely coherent and very wobbly when she walks. Both seem to hardly eat or drink anything and both have similar nasty droppings, some that are caked around there cloak. Thought the Plymouth was just molting very hard until the jersey giant got bad also. Have inspected droppings for worms and have not found any, as well as not seen any signs of lice or other pests on the birds. Nothing wrong in the few eggs we do get to suggest anything either. Other environmental factors are we just got rid of two roosters and integrated 6 grown hens into the flock two weeks ago. Kicking myself for doing that now as we were getting 3-5 eggs per day from 9 hens. The roosters were just getting to aggressive. Perhaps the new birds got them sick, but they seem to be healthy. Original 9 birds are 11 months old. 6 new birds are supposed to be 9 months old. Flock integration went ok, they all seem to act as one flock now, though my bird that was on the bottom of the pecking order thinks she is all that and a bag of skittles now (She is the only who chases the birds around now). While flock is fed layena pellets with some layena omega 3 pellets, with some kithchen scraps, and sunflower seeds still In shell for some supplements. Did realize this morning I have gave any grit for a while but they also free range at least 3 hours a day. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Unusual poops and weakness/lack of balance and lack of appetite could be due to coccidiosis. Perhaps a different strain to your local one, brought in with the new pullets. The easiest place to start would be to treat with Corid. If they are not eating and drinking on their own then you will need to bring them in and start carefully hydrating them with a syringe or tube feeding. @casportpony is the resident expert on tube feeding.
Another possibility is Marek's disease. Unfortunately birds can be carrying it even though they look perfectly healthy and stress will then trigger an outbreak. Supporting the immune system is the best that you can do if that is the case, so vitamin supplements and good nutrition. I have found grass and sunshine most beneficial for my Marek's birds but I have one of the milder strains in my flock and you need to catch them whilst they are still keen to eat and drink themselves.

I suppose it could even be that these chickens have been kept from the food and water during the commotion of introducing the new birds and that has left them weak. The important first step is to isolate them from the others, keep them warm if you are in winter and get fluids into them and then sloppy food and start with Corid treatment.

Back
Top Bottom