Need help; duckling pipped wrong end (36 hours ago; no progress)

If anyone who has gone through this has any advice about how best to know WHEN to start intervening, I'd appreciate it. I am about to leave for three hours (I have no choice; I'd get fired if I don't make it to this dinner and it's an hour away--and back). I am going to look at the membrane (or try to) when I get back and decide whether to start cutting away at the membrane. By then, it will have been 48 hours since he initially "pipped" the hole in the wrong side. I'm most afraid that his position keeps him from doing the struggle he needs to do to "close" the veins and absorb the yolk. I can't see through the outer membrane to see if there is anything there or even how the rest of his body is positioned.

Thanks, everyone.

K
Is it possible for you to peel back a little bit of the outer membrane so you can get a better look at the inner membrane? If not then try to very carefully peel back some membrane (outer and inner) away from the hole the duckling has already made. If at any time you see fresh blood coming from the membrane, then stop immediately and put him back to "cook" a little longer. If you get no bleeding when you peel back a little bit, then continue peeling back a little bit more until you can get a better look at what is going on in there. If there is no bleeding from the membrane while you are doing this, then he is likely ready for you to get him out of there.

Also, once you get him out it would be a good idea to give him some polyvisol (no iron), sav-a-chick vitamins, poultry nutri-drench, or even just a few drops of sugar water if that is all you have available. The boost could do him good.

Best of luck with your little duckling. I will be following your progress and rooting for a good outcome!

An update. I've tried to cut away some of the membrane (TINY cuts--like 1/16 of an inch) but on the second one got a tiny bit of blood so have stopped.

He is fairly responsive (that is, when I talk to him he will move his beak around and peep) but has made no progress in moving out of the egg.

While I can see the beak clearly (and the egg tooth is visible), it's hard to see beyond that to get an idea what's going on with the rest of him. The inside of the egg, though (there is a fairly large "hole"--although it is kind of like pie cuts that close up except when he sticks his beak out) just seems really "oozy" to me. There seems to be a lot of clear gelatin-ish fluid floating around in there. Is that normal? I've tried to get a picture of what I'm seeing (see below). One with the "flaps: closed as they normally are and one with me (delicately) holding them open. Can anyone see anything that gives a clue as to what is going on and what I should be doing (if anything). He first "pipped" (although at the wrong end of the egg) about 50 hours ago.

I'm going to have to call it a day and hope there is something good to report tomorrow morning.

K

A sad and final update. The duckling died overnight. The last time I checked on him (about 1:00 a.m.), he would respond when I talked (by peeping and moving his bill around but he died at some point overnight. I knew his odds weren't good, but I'm still devastated. Thanks to everyone for helping out (both with advice and support). This one didn't end well.

Karen

Oh no, I'm so very sorry he didn't make it. :(

From that last pic he looks to be in an abnormal position (head should have been tucked under a wing). Even though he pipped the wrong end, he should've been in the same position as a duckling that pipped the correct end (just "upside-down"). So he maybe wasn't meant to be after all.

Again, so sorry your little guy didn't make it. *hugs*

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm going to try hatching in the spring for my first time. Not sure I'm prepared for the heartbreak!

A sad and final update. The duckling died overnight. The last time I checked on him (about 1:00 a.m.), he would respond when I talked (by peeping and moving his bill around but he died at some point overnight. I knew his odds weren't good, but I'm still devastated. Thanks to everyone for helping out (both with advice and support). This one didn't end well.

Karen
I am so very sorry he didn't make it.
hugs.gif
Even when you know the odds are bad and try to prepare yourself, it is so hard to lose them. I find whenever I've had to assist one, that I bond with them very quickly, which just makes it that much harder if they don't make it.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and hope. I know in my head that he wasn't going to make it,, but in the two days he was "talking" to me, I was so hopeful that it feels like a huge loss. I've buried him in my back yard and will eventually get to the point where I know that he touched my heart and that was enough to make his mark in this world.

K

Back
Top Bottom