Need help; duckling pipped wrong end (36 hours ago; no progress)

What I did was just slowly cut open the membrane a bit starting from where it was already broken open near her bill (once I was sure the blood vessels were empty). Just making a big enough hole that she could potentially push herself out of. It really does help them alot if they can push themselves out of the egg (helps strengthen legs and such). Unfortunately, my girls membrane dried onto her feathers while I took a few hours nap, so she was completely unable to push herself out due to that. She was essentially glued to the membrane and remaining shell. I ended up having to moisten the membrane to get it off her feathers and just carefully pulled the rest of her out of the egg. Her yolk was completely absorbed and she was ready to come out at that point. I'm just telling you about my error (not having enough humidity to keep her membrane moist during the last few hours) so that you can hopefully have better luck with your guy pushing himself out the last bit himself. But if something goes wrong (like with mine), you can gently help him out all the way if/when it comes to that.

That's what is so scary now. I think the opening is already big enough for him to push through. Maybe not, but it looks like enough for him to at least get his head out. But, he hasn't. Just the bill showing through. Is he so jumbled up in there that he can't straighten out enough to do it? And, I'm not sure at what point (and I am so scared about how to tell when the veins are "ready" if I start "cutting" the membrane to stop. I can't figure out how to loo underneath the white opaque layer of the membrane to see if the inner layer has no blood.

I'm so sorry to be so needy right now. I'm home alone and panicked. If I ask for advice from people who have any knowledge, they are either "just let nature take its course--if it dies it was meant to die" or "break it out right this moment"--neither of which is informed or helpful.

K

It's possible he IS just too stuck in there to push out since he's upside down. The way they hatch out they really can't just push their head out, they have to push their whole back/neck area out of the opening first before being able to unfold and get their heads up and out of the tucked position. So he really does need to be able to push his whole body through the opening.

Just don't freak out, that's the most important thing! ;) Will there be anyone else there with you in a few hours? I only ask because it's so much easier to have someone hold the flashlight for you into the opening so you can move the membrane out a little and peek inside to see more of that inner membrane farther down in the egg. Sometimes the initial opening gets so mucked up and a little dried together that it's hard to tell for sure when the blood is gone from the vessels at that location, easier to tell further down in the egg where it hasn't been disturbed by the hatching process.

Not sure if any of this is making enough sense, I just wish I could jump through the computer and help you! Just remember to breathe. Hatching is a very slow process and nothing is an emergency right this second. :)

Wanted to add: If you do start to slowly cut open the membrane later and you see any blood at all, stop immediately and put him back in the incubator for a few more hours. He should be ok so long as you stop before causing a major bleed.

Unfortunately, I can't be around in a few hours because I will be asleep (major time difference here from the US). So I'm hoping all will go well or someone else will hop in here to help with further questions/problems you might have. I will check on you again before bed, though! I'm really rooting for you over here!

Last edited:
I might have a neighbor who can help (has no experience with ducks, but is an animal lover). Unfortunately, I have to leave for about three hours later (I called in with a "personal situation" to my job today but have a business dinner that is NOT cancellable because it is with who have flown in for it), but I think I will wait until I'm back from that (assuming nothing happens in the next three hours or so) to take another look.

Thank you! Are you really in Sweden?

K

I sure am! Originally from the US, though. Moved here last year from Florida. :)

Sounds like a good plan to wait until after the business dinner if you're still unsure of the vessels being ready before then. I feel like I should tell you to prepare yourself for him to potentially not make it since it's such a complicated hatch. But don't give up hope, either! I didn't expect my little Cayuga to make it out, but she did. Very very similar situation. It's always worth a try and our best effort, though! And make sure to post updates! ;)

I am prepared. I realize the odds aren't in his favor.

But, last question (for a while at least). If it "looks" like the veins are okay and I start cutting away the membrane, will it be obvious if it actually ISN'T ready? That is, will it NOT bleed if it's okay? Do I assume any blood as I'm cutting (tiny bits at a time, I assume) means I need to stop?

And, do I just cut it all away and then just leave him there to move himself out?

K

It will not bleed at all if the vessels are ready. And yes, a little bit of fresh blood coming out at any time means you should stop. And yes, you can cut most of the membrane away so he'll hopefully just push himself out. Just watch that the membrane doesn't dry onto his feathers like it did with my little one.

I have been following this thread and am really rooting for your little duckling to make it. My first ducks, I had one that had to be assisted as well. It was SO nerve wracking, and he was so weak I thought for sure he'd never survive. But he did! So there is hope for your little one too.

If anyone who has gone through this has any advice about how best to know WHEN to start intervening, I'd appreciate it. I am about to leave for three hours (I have no choice; I'd get fired if I don't make it to this dinner and it's an hour away--and back). I am going to look at the membrane (or try to) when I get back and decide whether to start cutting away at the membrane. By then, it will have been 48 hours since he initially "pipped" the hole in the wrong side. I'm most afraid that his position keeps him from doing the struggle he needs to do to "close" the veins and absorb the yolk. I can't see through the outer membrane to see if there is anything there or even how the rest of his body is positioned.

Thanks, everyone.

K

Back
Top Bottom