Need help fast - Aggressive Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an outside dog (large Pyrenees) and an indoor dog (bichon) and I love them. They are part of my family...

Let me play the bad person here...

I have never had to put an animal down, so I know this must be hard to hear and it's only my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. ...but I would euthanize her.

Now that you know she can and will do damage at her own discretion, you must do all you can to protect the people around you...even strangers or children that might wander into your yard. Since she has a history of attacking people, then you could get sued or go to jail if it happens again. That would be horrible!

After seeing a child attacked on t.v. and finding out that the dog attacked before, I remember stating, "If that dog had bitten my child and I found out it had a history of attacking people, then I would punish the owners to the fullest extent of the law...and then some..." I'm not proud of that statement..it sounds negative...but if your dog hurts someone's loved one, you may find that you are faced with more than you want to deal with.

Think about it...put yourself in another person's shoes...You have a child, right?...say she goes over to a friend's house and their dog bites her and leaves a nasty scar and bad memories, then you find out that the dog has bitten two other people before...how would you feel about it? They might make excuses like, "well she walked to close to the dog's bowl" or "she tried to pick up the dog's toy"....does any of that really matter to you and your daughter?

No doubt that she is protecting and doing what a dog is supposed to do, but she obviously doesn't have good judgement.

There are humane ways to put her down...and you still have good memories of her...take lots of pictures, do a scrapbook of her, keep her favorite toy...and let her go.

Good luck with her whatever you decide...that's a really difficult situation!
~Rebecca

IMO, you can try the behaivior modification. But, a dog with a normally stable temperment does not bite, normal protective dogs will growl and bark but will back until in danger or their owner is in danger, a person coming to the door is not a threat of anyones life, unless the owner gives the go ahead to take action (by words or actions). Dogs that willingly take it into their own hands to put thier teeth on human flesh should not be trusted (trainers that work with shutzhund, or police dogs will not take them, they want dogs that have to be trained to bite).
You have a young child at your house, it is only a matter of time until one of her friends comes over and opens the door from playing in the yard and gets bit (and usually kids get it in the face).
The signs at your house are no protection from getting sued, you will get sued and when they find out the dog has bitten twice befor you insurance company is not going to be very happy.
I know it sounds mean and cruel, but there are too many good, homeless dogs out there, that are protective and loving and are not a time bomb waiting to go off, JMO.

I like the idea of training her with a muzzle and a leash. We thought about a shock collar, but with her abusive background we were afraid that could backfire and lead to other behaviour problems.

I think working with a trainer who will help you with positive reinforcement methods is the way to go. Goldens respond so well to that type of training...

We taught our big dog to go lay on the couch when anyone comes in - and anyone walking in can tell her go get on the couch and she will. That has helped a lot with kids walking in and out... Even a kid can tell her to go get on the couch.

The new pound dog who is a couple years old and would love to guard the door is being taught that he doesn't own the doorway and that when he's called away from it - 1. he'd better behave (squirt bottle helped teach him that rather quickly) and 2. there's always a nice reward for him when he does.

I do think that dragging a dog away from the door by the collar and holding them back makes some dogs much worse. Your dog needs to leave the doorway because you SAID SO, where ever in the house you happen to be standing. It's YOUR doorway, she needs to leave it.

So I vote that you get some help training your dog...​

It sounds like you have multiple things going on with your dog. Fear aggression seems to be a big problem for her. She needs to learn to be less frightened of strangers. This is especially hard, because she is from a protection breed and still feels a need to protect both you and her territory, while she is so frightened, herself. She definitely needs work on socialization and desensitizing her to visitors. There are programs you can follow for this. This should help her see people that come over as less of a threat. She will probably still have some concerns about strangers, but be calmer.

In addition, she needs you to step up and take a stronger roll. She needs obedience work, to the point that when you tell her to curb her behavior or give her a command, even in the heat of the moment, she responds. She needs you to take control of these situations and eventually, to learn to be confident that you are handling it. Use a really positive approach in her training, with lots of praise, but be firm about it.

Eventually, hopefully, she can get to the point that when she makes an alarm bark, you acknowledge that someone is there, you let her know that the person is allowed in and she is perfectly fine that they are there.

I think you can make a lot of progress with her, but you need to do a lot of work. Get help, if it's available. Do more reading. You also need to take whatever precautions necessary to make sure she never, ever bites another person. She is going to need more care on your part, to keep her and everyone else, safe. Keep your doors locked, utilize muzzles, get her a crate and teach her to go there on command. She should never be running loose out in the world and you need to protect everyone that comes to your home.

The hardest part will be in the beginning. Intense fear makes it really hard for a dog to focus and obey commands, that it would otherwise. Once you have a program in place and start working it, I think you will begin to see positive changes. Until then, you need to physically keep everyone safe. If you can't provide her with this level of training, behavior modification and environmental safety, then it would be best to have her euthanized. It would be very hard to do, but it would be best for her and for others. I hope your family can work through this, in whatever way it needs to. :aww

A large dog that has learned to make independent decisions about whom to attack is a lawsuit and/or tragedy waiting to happen.

An adult's elbow and hand could have been a toddler's face and throat.

We had similar problems with a rescue dog, and euthanized him. He was such a good, well-trained dog in most respects that it was heartbreaking, but there was no logical alternative.

I responded earlier in the story with my brief suggestion to euthanize...

As others have pointed out, her behavior is not normal, it's dangerous and people are at risk...

I mentioned having recently euthanized our dog...the day before yesterday, (excuse my emotion filled post, the grief is still very fresh) We rescued Gracie from a breeder who cared very much for her, she was an older dog with many health problems but loved our family and bonded with me. We also have two other dogs (both of which are rescues)...Gracie began showing some concerning signs of aggressive behavior towards our other dogs but my correction and ability to intervene always ended her attempts. (I should emphasize that I have a background with working with problem animals as I volunteer, rescue from, foster and advise our local SPCA...I also grew up with my father (a professional trainer) who bred and was active in the show ring). I immediately began working with Gracie to eliminate her aggressive tendencies and I've always been extremely cautious with her (and all dogs) around my toddler...

Two days ago Gracie attacked my other, significantly bigger dog. My toddler was napping in the same room. It took two adults to pull all 35 lbs of her off of my 70 lb. dog who was submitting. In the midst of breaking up the attack my hand was caught in her mouth...One hospital trip later, some super glue, steri strips, iodine wash, X-rays and incapacitated hand, my husband and I were faced with a terrible decision...

Gracie didn't intend to bite me...I was in the way. Almost immediately after the fight ended she was wagging her tail and loving me. But...if my finger/hand had been my toddler's...I shudder to think of what the result may have been. You're child is at a similar risk. Perhaps you can't fathom the likihood that your dog may someday turn on you or your child...then please imagine the very real and tangible possibility that your child could be caught in the crossfire.

I resent the implication that euthanizing a dangerous animal is a byproduct of our "throw away society"...Our society has a lot of problems, one being the increasing number of people willing to keep dangerous animals and not be responsible enough to make even the hardest decision to protect both people and the animals they love.

The unfortunate truth is that if your dog bit another person, someone not as understanding, she could be taken away, quarantined and then euthanized putting you both through even greater stress. Not to mention the liability and the danger she poses.

I realize my situation is not the same as your own, my dog was older, had health problems and was mentally declining...in fact, my dog was arguabley less of a risk since her agression was aimed at another animal. I am in no way an uneducated or ill informed pet owner. I made the choice that was right for my family and for my dog and I know you too, will do the same. I only ask that you consider the possibility of humane euthanasia and not chalk up stories like mine as a cruel attempt to unload my dog with no respect for her best interest...

I really want to emphasize what one of the previous posters mentioned...her behavior is not normal or acceptable. Dogs who are trained to be protective are trained to bite and release on command...these are things they have to be taught! By your own admission this problem is getting worse and so is the damage she is inflicting with her attacks. Obedience is not the problem here...behavior is. She is unstable. If you were hearing this story from a friend, how would you advise him or her? This is a dog with a repeat bite history, one wound requiring sutures...

I understand how hard it is to look into the eyes of your beloved pet and contemplate something so painful...I miss Gracie dearly and sharing this recent situation was not easy. I hope you will consider all of your options...

Last edited:
TubbyChicken,

I hear and understand what you are saying. I can see the side of the story from people who are recommending euthanasia and we are still considering all of our options

Hunny has some serious "issues" that I can see getting worse as she ages. While the aggression is only toward other dogs or people at the door, she is extremely high strung for such a large dog. If we take her for a walk and try to keep her held back, she gets nervous and tries to jump on us. She is terrified of guns and other loud noises and when she hears them, if she's not in the house, her response is to try and climb into our arms (she weighs 80 pounds). Her nerves go beyond the normal ducking the tail and hiding but close to hysteria and needing to get away. Disciplining her makes it worse. I think much of her problems come from her abusive past. I would like to hurt the person who treated her so badly and instilled so many nuerosies in her.

I think we will try to work with her for a bit, in a gentle manner, teaching her to listen to voice commands and to prevent the hysteria that ensues when someone rings the doorbell. That has always been a problem in our house, primarily due to the Bostons, who are small dogs and bark and jump at anything. But if we cannot get her aggression under control we will look at the alternative.

I do believe she can be trained, because when we first got our chicks, Hunny would stare into the brooder tote, mouth hanging open, panting and getting nervous. A couple times she did gently try to snap at the birds. I really thought we were going to have a chicken-chasing bird. However, with a lot of time spent holding the chicks close to her and speaking in soothing tones, she became very comfortable with the chicks and when they went to free ranging would "herd" them into a group and make sure they didn't wander. Now she just wanders the yard while they are out and pays no attention to them.

I believe she has the capacity to learn and honestly, it's our fault that she hasn't. I have never had a dog that required such training and am only now learning how to do it and deal with it. She has also learned to stop on command when she starts chasing other dogs. There are some strange dogs that come into our yard that we allow her to chase out, but she has learned to stop at the property border (no fence). Other neighbor dogs, that are not a threat to our livestock, we do not allow her to chase and she has learned to be tolerant of them and not chase when we command, so there is a capacity for learning.

I value all perspectives on this post. I was near hysteria last night and my 8 year old daughter was threatening never to speak again (not to us, just at all) if we "got rid of" Hunny. It was an emotional night.

Thank you everyone.

tubbychicken, I had a younger friend who has since died of cancer that used to have a dog. One day it was missing so I asked her what happened...she said it was growling and acting strange and she couldn't trust it around her then two small children so she put it to sleep. The day after, she discovered she had very large rats running thru her apartment. You just never know what they are trying to tell us or what is really going on unless you dig deeper and I for one would more than give the benefit of the doubt, living in Alaska. Our poster lives on an island, which is plumb full of kodiak bears and a good dog is more than worth its weight in gold.

Quote:
We have a Dog who is also aggressive toward strangers & visitors, but we too think Always & keep the door locked, have a hallway gate he stays behind so during the day he's never attentive at the door when it's opening & closing. We put him away in a bedroom when company comes for safety. (But he's OUR dog & no-one likes a dog sniffing in their clothes & bothering them, they're there to visit you, Not your dog). So it's better to put him away. & he's never allowed to run free on our acres. Even with children your dog should be away from them, children can argue & raise their voices or throw a toy which can be misunderstood from the dog & result in a bite. Where your dog thinks it's protecting. Even with training you should always be on 'guard' for both your dog's safety & your visitor's safety. I was told you should "never" but a --Beware of Dog --sign up in your yard or in your window. You are then advertising & acknowledging your dog "IS & WILL act Aggressively". Just giving anyone an open invitation to possibly aggravate your dog to 'test' that theory. & Yes there ARE those kinds of people who look for an easy payday & think like that, I've known family members who've looked for a quick payday & seem to have no prob finding a lawyer to take a quick payday case, sad.
roll.png
Not that they've aggravated a dog for a lawsuit.... but it so sad that those people win the frivilious lawsuits. :mad::mad: There was a neighboring child who Did tease our dog at the end of a 20ft long horse lunge line, WHILE I had the other end in my own hand in fact.! I had him in Our yard, & caught the child while teasing my dog, so children are No angels, & do 'do' things that --may-- trigger a 'sensitive' dog to do Inappropriate behavior, that could have tragic results. These situations are the ones that take the extra effort to prevent.

Ceasar Milan...the Dog Whisperer... is an excellent resource to see how dogs CAN be retrained. He's even retrained dog fighting Pitbulls. They're Very scarred social members of his large pack of dogs. So not all dogs are immediate pts solution dogs. But it does take Great commitment to keep the door locked, & be a responsible dog owner. But there are those people who can't make that commitment & be on top of it at all times or with all family members in the house. Using a locked door or door chain lock, etc. So I can see if the owner personally can't do those things it Would be better to take the dog & have them pts Vs being careless & letting someone else get hurt. & passing the dog to new owners isn't going to help the dog. We LOVE our dog & are Thankful our dog is a guard dog. Here in the woods it's nice with the safety of having a good guard dog.
wink.png
Neighbors have been broken into this yr, but no-one even "thinks" of entering our house.
wink.png
A Growl & Deep Bark is something you can't get with a security system.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom