Need help fast - Aggressive Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Next time, the proper response is "How about starting now?"

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but I think the root of the problem is that your kid and your dog are in charge at your house, not you. You're not doing either of them any long-term favors by being "nice".

If it were my dog, I would have it put down. I would not risk serious bodily harm to anyone or worst of all the death of a child. But if you simply can't bring yourself to do that, please, please enlist the services of a reputable, qualified professional. This is not something you need to be trying to handle on your own.

Dogs live in packs and their actions come more from the collective thinking of the pack and their role within it than themselves. If this pack (all the people and the critters in the house) has weak leadership and too much excitement and disarray when someone comes to the door the behavior your seeing in this dog is as it should be for that pack.

There is much more here that you need to fix than the dogs reply to a person coming to the door. If your not willing or able to fix all that, including the other dog's response to people at the door, and your leadership then please do consider rehoming her to a pack with strong leadership and good solidly calm other canine examples. That is first and foremost what she needs.

I know for sure this dog can be rehabilitated and live a very good life where all are safe around her because I have done it with a few, but it's not going to be magical or one step. All parts of the puzzle will need to be refitted and it will be a long haul. It will also be however a huge benefit to your life in many ways other than just the 'fixing' of this dog to get the pack set up right.

To me euthanasia (while an option I admit) is the quick way out that denies you both the life learning that can come from this and the chance to change things that will have a huge impact on your whole life, and that of your family. This dog has a message for you about the balance in your life, and euthanasia is turning a deaf ear.

All my best in working this out.

This dog has shown that it WILL bite.Kids can make funny sounds or sudden movements ,wear dress up clothes.I don't think you will ever be able to completely trust Hunny.
I hate the thought of her being put down.Check out Cesar Milan's show,books and videos. It's a huge time commitment to work with Hunny and change her behavior.
You have already had two people bitten "before you could get ahold of Hunny" .You can't guarantee it won't happen again.You need to take an honest look at your lifestyle and your family and decide if you can make the time commitment to turn things around.
Hunny may have been abused before,but feeling sorry for her and making excuses for her doesn't change the fact that she is dangerous.
Your heart is in the right place ,which is why you are struggling with the situation.I wish you the best
sign me mom of the chihuahua chicken killer : (

Oblio13 I am right there with you, course I was born and raised in MA. So what is it about New Englanders? Do we just think differently about cold hard facts or what?

I don't get people making comments about 'heartless' when two individuals have been ripped open far enough to bleed from this misguided canine, Cesar Milan would call it a red zone dog and people are advising to keep it and train it??? Are we human beings now lesser creatures than canines, that we should sacrifice our species in honor of a mentally ruined animal?

This thread seems to be going downhill fast. Is it maybe time to just close it? It started out with people giving various opinions, options and information, in what I thought was a pretty calm way and now it seems to be heading in the direction of ranting and flaming.

The OP, Kodiakchicken requested the following last post.

Thanks to all of you that provided thoughtful, considerate advice on this topic. We are still considering ALL options and I am certain we will come to a decision that is appropriate for all.

Unfortunately, once again a few individuals have taking a paragraph's worth of emotional words and judged a person's life by them. I cannot condone that behaviour and will not validate those responses with an arguement. Therefore, I am in agreement with the moderator's request to close this thread.

Erin​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom