Need Help Fast... antibiotic question.. denagard/tylan 50 injection...MG

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
I need help... Need to know if I can give a very sick hen gasping for air (MG) an injection of Tylan 50 when I just started her on Denagard a few hours earlier. Keep in mind, her crop is sour and has not moved for a day at least, plus she did not drink so much of it yet... maybe about 2 table spoons total, though I doubt that much.

She is struggling to breathe. I highly suspect it is MG. Is it ok to mix those two antibiotics? I thought since she has the sour crop and things are moving that maybe the denugard is not getting where it needs to go pronto! Wouldn't the shot get her something to fight it now? Or is this a totally bad idea?

Please, if you know the answer, let me know sometime soon. I know time is off the essence. She had been strong and coping with this well but took a turn for the worse.

I need help... Need to know if I can give a very sick hen gasping for air (MG) an injection of Tylan 50 when I just started her on Denagard a few hours earlier. Keep in mind, her crop is sour and has not moved for a day at least, plus she did not drink so much of it yet... maybe about 2 table spoons total, though I doubt that much.

She is struggling to breathe. I highly suspect it is MG. Is it ok to mix those two antibiotics? I thought since she has the sour crop and things are moving that maybe the denugard is not getting where it needs to go pronto! Wouldn't the shot get her something to fight it now? Or is this a totally bad idea?

Please, if you know the answer, let me know sometime soon. I know time is off the essence. She had been strong and coping with this well but took a turn for the worse.
You will need to treat the sour crop as a separate issue. @TwoCrows article is a wealth of information on treating crop issues. You may want to pm her. Is the crop moving any matter at all? You will want to get that moving and can treat with something like a yeast infection medication (Miconazole Nitrate or Clotrimazole). Only offer her wet feed - no treats if she will eat.

If she is very ill with MG, Tylan50 may help give some relief, but I would think that mixing the Denagard would be contradictory so I would only use one the other. @Eggcessive or @casportpony would know more about this. Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight, or 1/2 cc for bantams. Give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. Since she is having crop issues it may be better give by injection.
Just my thoughts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues-html/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html

I am sorry your bird is having trouble. Does the bird actually have symptoms of respiratory issues....runny nose, watery or gummy eyes, coughing, etc..? If not, I am guessing the diffuculty breathing is being caused by something internal related to the crop issue (internal laying, peritonitis or even reproductive cancer) These will cause swelling and can cause slow crop and breathing troubles.

Yeah, thanks everyone, but she passed last night.

To answer your questions, yes, she has been gaping and coughing and sneezing now for about a month, though she was not showing any other signs but that. She was eating and getting around ok. I had been trying to treat her with it- using Duramyacin 10, Oxine vapor 'bath's, dewormed her with several different wormers... nothing helped the whole time. She just became worse.

Her crop was not emptying at all the last two or three days. I gave her kefir grains to try and clear it up- it worked on my other chicken (a rooster) who has the same thing only he does not have the gaping and sneezing and coughing, but everything else is the same. Within hours his sour crop was gone. Both chickens were gurgling, usually only after they ate or drank only. There were no signs on either of them of puffy swollen parts on their faces at any time, although I had three other birds that had this (symptoms of swollen faces in areas) but responded immediately to the Duramyacin 10 and have been fine since. I had one other hen die about three weeks ago suddenly. She only exhibited signs of lethargy the last two days before she died, and even at that she was not looking horrible, just kind of tired. I figured it was just the heat wave we are having and she wanted to stay cool... But with her, no other symptoms. So, whatever this is, its long lasting, silent, and hard to treat. MG was the only thing that I found could fit all the symptoms. (Plus I had been deep cleaning the coop in the evenings- since its cooler weather for me to do it in- so all that dust was not really settled, nor the coop all the way clean when the birds came to roost . )

I ended up not choosing to inject her with the Tylan 50. Just didn't want to cause more problems then help her, plus I don't believe anti-biotic would do much to fight something that is either a virus or a fungus. She just took a real sharp quick turn for the worse yesterday.

Last night it was almost like whooping cough- very hard to watch. I'm assuming what happens is that there was severe inflammation in the airway passages or lungs and that is what killed her. She was still energetic and at least eating a little bit up until the last hours. My thinking now is that maybe some sort of anti-inflammation drug might have helped, though I don't really know and I can only assume there is such a thing on the market, and if there is, probably for vets only.

Thanks for your replies.

Oh I am so so sorry she has passed on.
hugs.gif

I hope your heavy heart heals soon.
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone.. that was really difficult to loose her... and in that way. She just couldn't breathe and was struggling so much.
sad.png

She was one of my favorites with plenty of personality and memories to go with it. Beautiful, brave to an unhealthy extent, healthy, friendly, robust, big black eyed Austrolorp of 3 years.

Rest in peace, Zippy!

Back
Top Bottom