Need Help Fast Please

edited cuz I don't remember my math well either: never mind . . .
hide.gif

Last edited:
What could be throwing you off is that your picture is not quite right. If you indeed want a 45 Deg. Pitch you have chosen the easiest one to do. To figure out your rafters divide the width of the structure by two, to get the “run”, in your picture that would equal two feet. If you indeed want a 45 Deg pitch then the “rise” will be two feet because the tangent of 45 Deg. is one. Multiply two (one half of the structure width) by 1.4142 the Cosecant or 45 Deg to get the Travel or developed length of the rafter. If you want to get real slick and cut the bird mouths in the bottom of the rafters so that they will set on the top plate subtract one half of the ridge beam width from one half of the with of the structure. The end cuts will all be 45 Deg. Make your end cut for the top of the rafter and measure back from the bottom or inside edge of the rafter and mark the outside of the wall. Lay the 45 Deg. angel of your combination square on the bottom or inside edge of the rafter so that the blade will hit that mark and lay out your cut for the bird mouth. Hint there will be a plumb cut where the outside of the building will contact the rafter and the level portion of the cut will run to the inside of the building and off the edge of the rafter. You will want to have some overhang for your roof soffit so rain will not run down the side walls. If you make the plumb cut for the rafter tail 24 inches past the layout line for your birds mouth at the outside of the structure you will get 18 inches of over hang when you attach your fascia. Another real big hint put you sheeting on the exterior walls before doing the roof rafters. That way the plumb cuts will rest on the outside of the sheeting and you won’t have to cut the sheeting around them. Another hint put your soffits up before you do the siding so you want have to trim around the rafters. For that size of building I would use 2x6 No2 or better for the rafters and you will get two rafters from one ten foot board. I would put the rafters on two foot centers and sheet the roof with 5/8” CDX plywood. Use 15# felt paper and the shingles of your choice.

Last edited:
My Dh is saying for a two foot high pitch you need to cut the boards with a 45 dg. angle at the top 34" plus what ever you want as an overhang.

Hope this helps

WOW!! You all are smart. I never thought about half of the stuff that everybody said. I believe that I have got it. I have read everybody's post and have come out with a 6'' overhang and the 45 degree pitch. I did cut them 3.5' long and then I did the math like dbcooper and twangfactor told. I beleive I have it all down pack and you all just don't know how much that hepled. All I van say is WOW and thank you. Do any of you all teach college Math or something? Any ways I appreciate it and thanks a whole bunch!! Dusty Carter

Back
Top Bottom