Need help fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chickenmomva

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Northern Neck,VA
Ok the DH and I mean the DH just came home rather proud of himself.......with 3 new chickens he bought at the feed store they are 20 weeks old and they look horrible compared to mine the burned their beaks or something........he said that the man selling them had over 100 of them........Ok they are in the dog kennel next to the chicken run........I am currently intergrating 7 ------7 week olds into the coop now what do I do with them?????????????? the are probably going to lay eggs in the yard I am freakin' ....................How long can I wait to put them in the coop.......when I said they look horrible I just meant their beaks.........they look very fat and healthy otherwise.......help I dont know what to do I am running around here like a you know what with my head cut off!!!!!!!!!

Well...first....take a deeeeeep breath. LOL
They will be fine in a kennel for a day....now..for health reasons...you will not want to put then in with your flock...for at least 2 weeks. Check them good for mites...lice...and look at thier poo...for normalcy.
What do you mean he "burned thier beaks"? Got pics? Maybe its not a burn?

Good luck with your new chicks....I hope it all goes well.

I am sure they are burned.........someone ( older than me ) asked me if my chickens beaks were burned when I got them........they were not......he said that they used to do that to keep them from pecking each other.......there are 3 of them.... the each are missing the bottom third of their entire beak..........the top and the bottom.....2 of them are not even......i have heard that when they are small the put an iron on them and it burns the tip off.......but this is more than a tip.........it could be that they were cut but it not a precise cut

I thought you were supposed to keep new birds separate for 6 weeks. Maybe I'm wrong.

At least, other than their beaks, they look good. Do you think someone tried to debeak them and botched the job?

Keep us posted.

my husband said there were over 100 chickens in this mans truck............obviously he did not consult with me on this.........and it was a spur of the moment thing southern states got 100 too many and they had to go......he waited in line for 20 minutes........all he could get was three........that was all the cash he had on him........they look so weird like we would look with out our nose ...........i guess it just shocked me.........the are separate from the others but I am not set up for 2 coops or anything like for 6 weeks............we have little pullets that are in the nursery pen during the day and in the basement in a big box at night..........do you think I could put the new chickens in the coop in their kennel at night.......would that be pushing it a bit...........

Ugh! It almost sounds like debeaking and cauterizing (burning the cut to stop blood flow). I wouldn't put them in a kennel in the coop just yet. That's still to much contact with your other chicks just in case they have any illnesses, or critters on them. Keep us posted and put up some pics!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom