Need help figuring out what kind of surprise package chickens we got

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erinszoo, Jun 28, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Hi! I'm new here and thrilled to find this forum. We had chickens (barred rocks) almost 15 years ago but had to give them up to a farm. Now we have finally been able to get more chickens. We also wanted some turkeys and ducks as well so we ordered a mixed package but the problem is they didn't come with any information as to what kind they were. They were supposed to be brown egg laying pullets but after exhaustive searching on line and in books, we can't figure out what kind they are.

They are 7 weeks old now. They are all basically black with some white. Some look almost like barred rocks but they have black/slate colored legs and full black heads. Others only have one or two white spots on a few feathers. Two of them have solid white flight feathers but are black/ black and white otherwise. Their eyes are greenish and their beaks are either completely yellow or have black spots on them. They are now big enough that they are flying up on the four foot gate of our chicken pen.

The one with my daughter is the one with white wing feathers and was taken just two days ago. The other two pics are from a week ago or so. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG]

I see all Barred Rocks. [​IMG] They will get more barring and more white as they mature.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    yup i see all barred rock pullets they sure dont look very feathered for 7 weeks old late bloomers

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    yep, Barred Rock chickies- they will feather out barred as the others have said [​IMG]

5. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Ok, everyone says barred rocks which is what we thought all along except that they have black legs. Our barred rocks last time had yellow legs and everything I've read and seen shows yellow legs as a distinctive marking of barred rocks. Any ideas as to why they don't have the yellow legs? And also why we have two birds with solid white feathers on the wings? These feathers are hidden when they don't have their wings spread out.

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You're right, BRs should have yellow legs with just a smidge of black down the front. May I ask where you got them? Could they be a Sex-Link breed?

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Could they be cuckoo Marans? The one in the pic with your daughter looks a bit like mine did when they were youngsters.

8. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    If they're Barred Rocks, they all look like pullets, which is very unexpected if they're "packing peanuts," so they may be some other breed, like Cuckoo Marans, as someone else mentioned.

9. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    They look exactly like my 4 week old Barred Rock chicks & I'm quite sure I have a mix of pullets & roos they just don't look THAT different yet [​IMG]

10. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Barred Plymoth Rocks all over your porch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by