Need Help Finding Goats

CluckyJay

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Crossville, Tennessee
I am trying to locate some small dairy goats. Maybe a buck and a couple of does. I was thinking about Nigerian Dwarfs. Anyone know someone selling non-show quality for cheaper than $300-$400?
ep.gif

I about died when I saw how expensive goats have become, LOL. Were just trying to find a small breed that will milk well. Nothing spectacular.

They'd have to be around Tennessee somewhere. Thanks guys!!

I posted on Backyardherds too.
thumbsup.gif

Actually no. I am scared of CL. LOL

I did post on LSN though. I "might" have found a lead. She is even willing to bring the goats closer. I gotta get a price and then get back to my sister.
fl.gif
for this, y'all!! LOL

That is the problem with mini's. They are typically just for show. But ask around at your local breeders, my breeder is such a sweetie, she will purposely make mutts just for me! And, just to make your life A LOT easier, I don't know your situation, but don't get a buck if you can avoid it. Save yourself! Just pay the 'stud fee' to get your does pregnant. They stick, and they are generally VERY ill-tempered. Ugh, and don't even get me started on when they go into rut...
he.gif

If you want milk goats why not consider a larger breed.
I suppose you can make a milking stand to accomodate a dwarf, but why?

As to price:
Around here when the County Fair is taking place you can get a not-quite show quality ND wether for less than $50. Does are a little more.

I agree with crazygoatlady about having a buck.
Not necessary unless you decide to breed your own line & more trouble than they're worth.

I am intending to eventually sell their young. I'm trying to get our minifarm up and going and want to get a few, easy-to-sell species.

I was turned off by standard breeds because they eat more and I am afraid they will sell less readily, lol. I can have more dwarfs for standards.

I haven't been around goats in years so its learning everything all over again.
th.gif

I'm in contact with someone and am waiting back to hear what they will take for two does and a buck. Lordy, I hope we can afford them!
fl.gif
I can understand why people ask so much though--it must take a lot of time and money to get your lines just right.

Back
Top Bottom