Need Help Finding Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CluckyJay, Jul 14, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Songster

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I am trying to locate some small dairy goats. Maybe a buck and a couple of does. I was thinking about Nigerian Dwarfs. Anyone know someone selling non-show quality for cheaper than $300-$400? [​IMG]
    I about died when I saw how expensive goats have become, LOL. Were just trying to find a small breed that will milk well. Nothing spectacular.

They'd have to be around Tennessee somewhere. Thanks guys!!

I posted on Backyardherds too. [​IMG]

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    Have you tried craigslist?

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Songster

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Actually no. I am scared of CL. LOL

I did post on LSN though. I "might" have found a lead. She is even willing to bring the goats closer. I gotta get a price and then get back to my sister. [​IMG] for this, y'all!! LOL

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    My fingers are crossed! [​IMG]
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    That is the problem with mini's. They are typically just for show. But ask around at your local breeders, my breeder is such a sweetie, she will purposely make mutts just for me! And, just to make your life A LOT easier, I don't know your situation, but don't get a buck if you can avoid it. Save yourself! Just pay the 'stud fee' to get your does pregnant. They stick, and they are generally VERY ill-tempered. Ugh, and don't even get me started on when they go into rut... [​IMG]

6. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Songster

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    lol--I remember goat stink!!! [​IMG]

Its okay though. They will be way far away from the yard! [​IMG]

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you want milk goats why not consider a larger breed.
    I suppose you can make a milking stand to accomodate a dwarf, but why?

As to price:
    Around here when the County Fair is taking place you can get a not-quite show quality ND wether for less than $50. Does are a little more.

I agree with crazygoatlady about having a buck.
    Not necessary unless you decide to breed your own line & more trouble than they're worth.

8. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Songster

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I am intending to eventually sell their young. I'm trying to get our minifarm up and going and want to get a few, easy-to-sell species.

I was turned off by standard breeds because they eat more and I am afraid they will sell less readily, lol. I can have more dwarfs for standards.

I haven't been around goats in years so its learning everything all over again. [​IMG]

I'm in contact with someone and am waiting back to hear what they will take for two does and a buck. Lordy, I hope we can afford them! [​IMG] I can understand why people ask so much though--it must take a lot of time and money to get your lines just right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by