need help first time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sager:)silkies, Oct 13, 2011.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    My 1 silkie chicken is sitting on 11 eggs but there not all the exact date so when the first 1 hatches what should i do

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The girls will USUALLY lay them, and not start to sit on them till she's ready for the bunch. Did you add on after she started sitting?

3. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Yep she started sitting on 6 and i added on after becuase i got some new chickens a month ago and waited for them to lay an egg so i could hatch them so i added a couple frizzle eggs and some polish

4. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Did you mark what days you did this? If some hatch, and they keep her busy enough, she will abandon the leftover eggs.
    Depends on the days, and the number of eggs left. You may be able to do a hatch and sneak under her within a few days....
    But if the difference is more than 2-3 days, she may not go for it.

5. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    When the first ones hatch should i take them away till they all hatch

6. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    What is the time difference between the first and last egg? 1 day?1 week?

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I agree it all depends on how far apart the eggs are...if you set the new eggs under the hen she will probably get up off them once the first ones hatch weather you take the chicks or not. You'd be better off takeing the eggs you put under her later and put them in an incubator. (just my opinion i may be wrong)

8. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks again but i donthave a incubator and the eggs are like 5 days diffrent at the most and there are only 3 that should hatch ealry

9. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    they should be ok then...you may want to take the earily hatchers and brood them till the rest of the clutch hatches and then put them back with mom once the hatch is done. [​IMG]

10. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Ya a lot of ppl say to do that and I'm gona do that put put them with her at night right and what if she dosent accept them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by