Need help for duckling that can't walk

sonlen

Hatching
May 11, 2015
Hi I am new to the duck world, actually I am trying to help my daughter. April 28th she found a duckling that someone thought was old enough to release to a pond with Geese! He made it to the road where she found him. I believe he is a Pekin Duck. His right leg was turned in/under his body and he hobbled when he walked. He appeared to have some scratches on his back. She was planning to nurse him back to health and then when he was old enough she would find him a suitable home. He is still fuzzy and I presume came from our local farm store at Easter time. When she found him he could swim/play in the water, he eats & drinks well. We have a Raptor Rehabilitation/vet locally and they were willing to look at him for her. They did surgery on his leg trying to fix the ligament damage and he had stitches for a week. During that time he didn't want to walk and I thought that was probably good for him to rest his leg. Unfortunately when she took him to get his stitches out they said he wasn't using either leg and kept him over the weekend to see what they could do for him. My daughter is heart broken because she loves all animals and feels like she did something wrong. She brought him home today and put him in water to see if swimming would help. He moves his legs but they look awkward instead of graceful. His feet look like they want to curl up and his joints look swollen on both legs. I have been reading a lot of articles this afternoon and this doesn't seem uncommon and that maybe it is fix able. It seems like he might have a diet deficiency, she has him on cracked corn and a vitamin meal, plus antibiotics last week. I haven't read the labels yet but will tonight. It seems like ducks need Niacin and vegetables in their diet. I need any help I can get on this, she knows that if he can't walk he can't survive unless he has constant care. We will not let him suffer but if there is a chance to save him we will.

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Your daughter sounds like a caring person to take in a duckling. And it's nice you're helping out by checking in here.

You will probably get help over on the duck forum. Here's a link to get you there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your baby.
hugs.gif
I am going to move this over to the ducks section for you. I sure hope someone can help you with this.

Hi there!

The duck needs to be on proper duck or chicken pellets. If you go with chicken feed it needs to be non-medicated and you will need to add niacin to the food. Duck pellets are best of course, but it's harder to come by than chicken feed. Cracked corn is not nutritious at all and just makes ducks fat, so the sooner you can get it on proper pellets the better. It does sound like it could be a nutritional deficiency problem.

I checked the feed she has and it is non medicated for chickens and ducks. She mixed it in with some cracked corn, should she just use the feed without the corn? I got some Brewers Yeast to add to the feed and started that last night. I'm not sure how much to mix though. I found a thread that listed food for ducklings and introduced peas last night, which he loves. I thought I'd scramble up an egg for him too. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I checked the feed she has and it is non medicated for chickens and ducks. She mixed it in with some cracked corn, should she just use the feed without the corn? I got some Brewers Yeast to add to the feed and started that last night. I'm not sure how much to mix though. I found a thread that listed food for ducklings and introduced peas last night, which he loves. I thought I'd scramble up an egg for him too. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
I doubt he will eat scrambled egg mine don't like it at all but I chickens sure do lol peas are a great treat and good way to give extra nutrition which he needs right now but mainly give him the feed you say is for chicks and ducks no cracked corn it will fill him up and he probably won't eat the good stuff. 1Tab of Brewers yeast for each cup of feed and this has to be given till 10-12 weeks of age this is when they are growing rapidly. Warm water bath time with supervision to help build up leg muscle. even massage might help.
Sounds like the little one couldn't have found 2 more caring people to help him . The Brewers yeast may take 3-5 days to see any improvements or longer depending on how long this had been going on before you got the lil one. So don't give up on him too soon.
hugs.gif
Bless you both and the lil one too

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom