Need HELP for injured hen "Doris"

saacred1

Hatching
Apr 8, 2017
I am so worried about my Doris. Yesterday while my helper was shoveling chunks of dirt and tossing into a pile, Doris got on top of the pile. I suspect (as I didn't see what happened) that he tossed one onto her back. What I DO know is that he said she rolled down the foot and a half hill and when I looked over at her she was flapping slightly but couldn't get up. she can't stand, she can't walk but her feet are strong and both kick well. her wings flap a bit. I have her watered and fed and snug for the night and hoping someone can tell me what to do. This is the sweetest girl and I want to do all I can for her.

Thank you!

Oh no, that is so sad. She may have suffered a back injury or sprained something. I would put some chick vitamins in her water or crush up 1/2 of a B Complex vitamin tablet in her food daily. Offer her some chopped egg along with her feed, and make sure that she can sit up in front of her food. A chicken sling or chair can be helpful for several hours a day, then let her sleep out of it at night. Hopefully, with some rest and TLC, she will be able to start walking again. Let us know how she gets along.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will do so. Is there a way to examine her properly? Can I give her anything else? Again, thank you for suggestions as I am new to chicken nursing.

You could give her a low dose 81mg baby aspirin twice a day crushed in her food. She could have watery feed, a tsp of plain yogurt, and some chopped egg to eat, or dry feed as well. I would touch her toes and legs to see if she can move them or if they respond to touch. Is she able to flap or move her wings? Has she been eating and drinking since her accident? If she misses the other chickens, i would place her is a crate, and take her out to see them, where she might eat better.

Aloha Eggcessive!

Her legs and feet are strong. She flaps her wings, though the right seems a tiny weaker than the left. Her crop was full this morning and I spent the day in the yard, resting her in her favorite spots and switching her from right side to left side, semi propped up. I did not see her eat today which was saddening. She has water and food beside her where ever she is. I will try the aspirin and other goodies you suggested tomorrow.

I have discovered I am a horrible chicken sling maker. She slid out of everything before I could finish trying to put it on. I think I need 4 hands minimum. I wish I knew HOW to examine her back or if chickens can recover from back injury. The next few days will say a lot.

Thanks again for caring about Doris!

Aloha

Back
Top Bottom