Need help from duck owners/Indian runner ducks owners for animal safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even understand why this story has to be so long.

1. Prove me why we need to breed with the crested gene besides "I like it:
2. Prove me why it is good for ducks to wear diapers and be all dressed up besides : I like it'

yall can't because you have nothing to say ain't it. You know it. You are not going to win any of it. extreme vegans or christians can make a point. I'm neither but they can say something, anything, to justify their point. This getting mad and reporting me without talking about it because you do no have anything to say is quite sad; I did not even ask for it and early on made clear I am not in for a discussion I just want pictuuuuresss.. but offcourse I'm the baddy.

I don't see why breeding crested ducks is abuse either. From what I understand, they have the same skulls as any crested bird

This is not true. Crested ducks have a hole in their skull, and worse, a blob of fat inside of their skull. As a result, the brain doesn't get 100% of the space that it needs. How much of a problem that is depends on the duck. Some are missing critical parts of the brain, others are fine.

Approximately half of crested ducks have severe coordination issues that can be detected with a simple test. Place the duck on the ground, back down/belly up. A duck that takes more than a few seconds to stand back up should be culled.

One should also be clear on the distinction between the crested allele and the crested breed. Since a single gene controls the the crest, any breed can have a crest bred into it. On the other hand, there is a breed called crested, and ducks of that breed don't all have crests.

I think that people in general should stay away from crested ducks, but if you really want one, I would follow these guidelines:

1) Stick to the crested breed. They are likely to have genomes that are better able to cope with the crest. Don't buy crested ducks of other breeds.

2) Test your ducks by placing them on the back. Cull those that fail the test.

3) Cull any other ducks that are showing signs of distress.

4) Only breed those birds that show no signs of disability.

It's not just a lethal gene. Crests on ducks are not formed by a different skeletal structure like with chickens. Crests are formed by holes in the ducks skull. Fatty tissue covers the hole, leaving a raised patch of just tissue--no skull underneath. The feathers grow longer because of the raised tissue, forming a crest.

Because of the hole in their skull, they are incredibly prone to brain trauma. Getting hit over the crest can kill them because their brain will get hit. When drakes mount crested hens, they pull the crest, and the crest can get pulled off, leaving exposed brain.

These ducks also suffer neurological issues, including seizures. What if a duck has a seizure while swimming? She could drown!

Breeding these ducks is not only an issue because the ducklings can die in the shell. It is cruel to bring them into existence and have them suffer from the crest defect just because they are cute.

ETA: And most people don't even know this about crested ducks. They just buy them because they are cute, not knowing these ducks are very special needs. As a result, many suffer from the problems above. Even if someone did know these things about crested ducks, that does not prevent neurological problems, or accidental head injury.

Thank you for wording it so that my lack of the English language can't do. That is exactly what I meant.

This topic can be closed. I do NOT need a picture from an actual crested/tuffed duck. I am a graphic designer. I can just add an Bob Ross fro on them.

I am not hating on people owning them. I want to be people more informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom