Need help from frugal-minded duck keepers.

Where do you put their food? Doesn't it get all wet?

Their night pen has a plastic roof and the food is kept in the covered pen. The sheets of wavy plastic we used for the roof were on clearance for $6 each. I needed 5. The pen is built up against the side of our shed so it has one solid wall, the roof, and the sides are hardware cloth.​

DSC00004.jpg

I made this Duck house out of an old shipping crate. It was free and works great.

This is functional, well suited to a few small ducks, and was relatively affordable. The pool is a cement mixing tub (home depot). It has a drain at the bottom attached to a pvc pipe for ease of draining.

photos53.jpg

Those set ups are both awesome!

With the first one, I actually see some of your building materials sitting around our house!

For the second one, I love the pool that drains. It seems like your ducks would stay very clean with that style coop and the pool would be easy to clean. I like both ideas.

This is wonderful, you are giving us such great food for thought!

I have made all my pens and brooders from stuff I bring home from work. Colourbond fencing, chain link fencing, Wooden crates. Its all recycled and costs me nothing. It doesnt look as nice as something brand new and store bought- But my ducks dont care about what it all looks like. Wooden pallets have so many uses. I was at a friends house the other day and all her duck pens are just up right pallets connected to pine post burried about a foot deep.

http://www.FreeCycle.org is also a great source to find things folks are giving away, and a place to find homes for all your own surplus.

That's where I found the nice sturdy plastic kiddy pool my ducks & geese use. I siphon out the water every day or two before tipping it up to rinse out. It saves my back & also keeps the pool from cracking & tearing prematurely. Often those things are designed for one season's use with children, but with care you can use it for longer with your ducks. Siphoning also makes it possible to drain the dirty duck water away from the pool area & in some lucky garden bed. I set my pool up on a mound of dirt several inches high to help the siphoning process.

I have some plastic dog houses & crates to use for various night duck houses (all rescued from discard piles). For doors I use other things I've found, sections of ventilated metal wire shelving, sides of wire dog crates, even wire oven racks. I zip-tie them to holes drilled in the doorways & secure them with bungee cords zip-tied to the other side.

I
love.gif
my ducks!

I like the idea of a dog house, maybe put a door on one for at night....if you wanted to move it around you could put it inside a larger exercise pen and as someone mentioned have a plastic swimming pool.

Back
Top Bottom