Need Help from ORPINGTON owners

Thanks to all that replied... now for another question... since she does have the bright red comb... should I be looking for eggs from her soon?

Thanks Jody, at least I know now who to throw my orpington questions too. I thought she was a pullet but DH.. well I wont go there again... I will just throw the egg in his face...

Thanks again
Tes

I was going to say that, but didn't want you to get too excited all at once. LOL Yes, sure looks like she is ahead in maturity and should be providing breakfast eggies soon.

Cynthia - thanks darlin'!
smile.png

Jody

Thanks Jody and Cynthia... I went back threw pics (i take pics every week LOL) to see when she got the comb to make sure I was right... She has had it now for about 3+ weeks. I promise to not get too excited but its hard not too... knowing they are coming... its just nerve racking waiting espeically... well.. hmmm... dont go there on that subject again
lau.gif
I will say.. .still have not received another.

Anyways, thanks you two... I do appreciate everything!!!!!
Will let you know when she does start
jumpy.gif

Tes

Hard to say from that. I think I see pointy feathers, but also they could be damaged feathers. In general, RooRoo has a female body type and I didn't see any pointy hackles on he/her. If you lift up the top layer of saddle feathers, look underneath at the small feathers coming in-are those pointy? I'd really like to see what Jody has to say since she raises them as one of her main breeds. By this age, I'd think a rooster would have declared himself to be one, either by crowing or by more defined rooster feathering.

She is defenantly a hen. If she were a roo she would be darker and her comb would be much bigger. Her body type that of a hen she would look much different, here is a few pics of my Buff orp roos -

(btw these are from MM hatchery and their offspring)

10ish weeks old (two different roolets)

100_0358.jpg

100_1555.jpg

Full grown (same rooster, the same as the first pic above)

100_1549.jpg

000_0057.jpg

Compared to a Buff orp hen

10ish weeks

100_0229.jpg

Full grown

100_1581.jpg

Yours are for sure hens, the will fill out more as they get older. Are they from a hatchery? they look like hatchery quality hens.

I am sure she will be a great layer though witha comb like that.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much... for posting the pics Corey, still waiting to throw that egg in DH's face
gig.gif

Yes, we got them from Cackle Hatchery. Now I have to find me a buff roo
barnie.gif
I guess I really wanted it to be a roo since I was looking forward to buff babies. oh well. Maybe out of the next batch. Yours are so beautiful!!!

Thanks to all for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tes

I still say hen too. Here is my 20 wk old cockerel for a closer age comparison. The boys have an obvious look about them.

100_3490.jpg

100_3489.jpg

Jody

Jody... your roo is just so beautiful ... oh now I really want one more than I did before... guess I am either going to have to beg the feed store owner for one... or wait til spring which I am probably going to have to do.
th.gif

Thanks for the pics... i will definatly show DH the pictures today... since mine have turned 18 weeks today... I don't think "ms. rooroo" will be able to get all of that in the next 2 weeks
lau.gif

Thanks all for your help... its so nice to know that I AM RIGHT, yet once again
gig.gif

Tes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom