Need help from someone who processes quail - experiment.

spookyevilone

Crazy Quail Lady
14 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Minneapolis
I don't process quail, so I can't try this. Soaking a pigeon in white vinegar for a day or two will dissolve all the bones and leave you with just the meat. I'm curious to know if it does the same thing with quail bones. Anyone willing to brine one and let me know? If it doesn't work, you can water-soak the bird a couple hours and will have super tender meat. (Not that quail's really tough anyway..) If it works, you'll have super tender meat that has no bones in it.

-Spooky

I would have to see proof to believe that, are you serious, is this really a viable method. What does the meat really taste like???.

AL

Quote:
Yes. We used to do it with pigeon all the time, and my friends who raise pigeons still use this method.

You soak the meat in water after the brine, and that draws most of the salt out and the rest comes out when the bird cooks, so it just tastes like meat. The vinegar causes the cells to break down a bit faster, so it's really tender as though it had aged awhile.

Quail eggs get soaked in vinegar to dissolve the shell. This works the same way. I just don't know if it'd work with quail because their bones are bigger. That's why I'm curious.

-Spooky

Back
Top Bottom