Need help getting rid of mites!!!

DE is dangerous for all of us to inhale, including the chickens. It would help a bit for mites, but not enough to justify the side effects.
Mary
I agree with Mary. I have had mites off and on. I've tried many things including DE and still had mites. I do believe if any wild birds get into your coop the mites will be introduced. If you have some type of mites, the best product to get rid of them in my opinion is permethrin which is very cost effective. I had a severe infestation last year and the birds were loosing a lot of feathers which I thought was due to molting but upon closer inspection discovered the mites. I treated the coop weekly for awhile with permethrin because it does not kill the mite eggs. Permethrin works and there is no egg withdrawal. Initially I sprayed the birds too. I also use the dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and spray inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the mites can hide. I buy the concentrate but I have a lot of coops so I mix it in a gallon sprayer and the wand helps me to reach the hard to reach areas. For smaller places the premixed spray is good. It took awhile for the birds feathers to come back in, but they are beautiful again. Wear special clothing including a mask and gloves. Good luck...

It’s so hard to know what to use some ppl say it’s safe and even put it in feed and others say not to use! I don’t find it to work anyway! I have permethrin liquid can anyone tell me the dose of permethrin to gallon for applying directly on bird? It says 8 ounces per 12 gallons and I can’t figure it out ! I can’t think right now I’m stressed out treating for these nasty bugs right now !
I mixed mine an ounce to a gallon of water for spraying the coop. I used about 3/4 of an ounce mixed with a gallon of water to spray on the birds. You can put the dust in places they dust bathe. My birds were really infested so I repeated weekly spraying for awhile. I had no problems. A bonus was I had some flies in the coops too and the permethrin got rid of the flies. Luckily I caught the mites before I lost any birds but if I hadn't treated when I did I probably would have lost some birds. I kept the birds out of the coops until the spray dried. I sprayed the birds especially under the wings and their vent area. When the weather was turning cooler, I started dusting the birds especially in the same areas and putting the dust in their nest boxes with pine shavings. They looked like powdered doughnuts. If you have any cats, keep the cats away until the spray dries. Good luck...

I agree with Mary. I have had mites off and on. I've tried many things including DE and still had mites. I do believe if any wild birds get into your coop the mites will be introduced. If you have some type of mites, the best product to get rid of them in my opinion is permethrin which is very cost effective. I had a severe infestation last year and the birds were loosing a lot of feathers which I thought was due to molting but upon closer inspection discovered the mites. I treated the coop weekly for awhile with permethrin because it does not kill the mite eggs. Permethrin works and there is no egg withdrawal. Initially I sprayed the birds too. I also use the dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and spray inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the mites can hide. I buy the concentrate but I have a lot of coops so I mix it in a gallon sprayer and the wand helps me to reach the hard to reach areas. For smaller places the premixed spray is good. It took awhile for the birds feathers to come back in, but they are beautiful again. Wear special clothing including a mask and gloves. Good luck...
Thank you thats actually what I’m using! I checked them again today I only have 4 birds that have noticeable mites however the poultry dust is not working has permethrin in it , I still see them crawling! So I actually sprayed them today ! I sprayed coop on Monday going to spray again tomorrow!

Most of us would prefer not to use chemicals, but the truth is, permethrin is considered very safe. It is a synthesized version of the chemical produced by chrysanthemums (which is called pyrethrum, I believe). We can't just use the chrysanthemum stuff because it won't last in the environment and would have to be constantly reapplied.

When you consider that mites can actually kill the birds, it's a wonderful alternative. I keep some for just-in-case.

Be patient it will take some time if your birds are as infested as my birds were, it works but will take some time. The powder will work too but not over night. This is what I have used.
GordonPoultryDust.jpg permethrin spray.jpg
permethrinDust.jpg PermethrinSprayB.jpg

Thank you thats actually what I’m using! I checked them again today I only have 4 birds that have noticeable mites however the poultry dust is not working has permethrin in it , I still see them crawling! So I actually sprayed them today ! I sprayed coop on Monday going to spray again tomorrow!
You will probably have to spray weekly for awhile making sure you get every crack and crevice in the coop where the mites can hide. Remember permethrin does not kill the mite eggs so repeated weekly spraying is necessary.

I would
love to just use natural stuff actually that’s my go to first! I have DE all through my coops and I spent two days burning wood for ash ! But I had one bird die already so had to do something the natural stuff is not working! But I also feed herbs, garlic , yogurt, acv, oregano tea, and only healthy treats !

Back
Top Bottom